Trace-Elliot Bipolar Bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
where do you live that nobody owns a scope?
ok if your still only powering up on the bulb limiter what's the ac voltage across the device under test (your amp) still with a 100 watt lamp correct? describe filament glow (note that in my limiter i use clear glass lamps) while running faint audio i look for intensity changes and trends both are quick checks for supply stability.

no scope

I dont know a single person with a scope and any business that might have one closed down long ago . I live 100km from Ottawa .
I am using a clear 100watt bulb that glows when I turn the power on for a sec then settles down to barely nothing . When I come off standby to play it does the same . When playing it seems to operate properly with no action from the light bulb. There is no extra noise when playing . It is dead quiet except for the guitar .

Last edited:
any safe convenient point anywhere along the ac into the transformer primary of your amp.
sorry i guess i assume your fairly acquainted with basic multimeter testing i'll try to clarify or be more specific.
to elaborate at this time i'm trying to help determine if your safe to try your amp on regular AC.
many repairs can run forever on a "dim bulb tester" (it is a current limiter) but at full voltage may still exibit problems.

I have 104vac at the primary . My new diode bridge came in the mail and is much bigger than the one I changed .It is installed and fits nicely just the same . Looks like the one that was in there was under spec . A 5amp(RB40) instead of a 8amp(KBPC804) and not working by my meager testing . I have the DB called for which arrived in a week from Romania .
Still operating through the limiter but acting properly .
I really get a kick out of this stuff .

Last edited:
with the voltage that close i think your safe to try it with normal AC.

in case it hadn't occurred to you changing the wattage of the lamp in your limiter varies the current limit.i have a selection of lamps comprising of everything from 7 watt to switchable 100w lamps to create a 500w limiter.it all comes down to approximating what you'd expect the device to draw while setting a reasonable limit for testing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.