How best to add a tweeter to a bass cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
You can start with 2x10, but if you play low tuning or 5 string it's really not enough. You can play bass on a guitar amp with decent result, but not the other way. The guitar will not sound good, especially if the bass cab is tuned low

The same time I meet the Eminence guys; I meet many other pro speaker designers as well. For the low end; most recommend a 2X15 instead of just one 18 inch. More punch and still can go below 30 Hz for the low 5 or 6 string basses.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
EQ Cheat Sheet: How to Use Instrument Frequency Chart | LANDR Blog

This is an interesting read; it shows the harmonics and overtones of some common musical instruments. When people try to tell you you don't need a tweeter or other high frequency driver for an electric bass; show them this graphic...I have even seen others that clearly show overtones reaching as high as 15 KHz (can't find it right at the moment though).

A 2x10 seems like a good option then, and as Speakerguy said one can add identical cabs further on. Easy to move around.
The brand you linked to Kjeldsen are really cheap. Have you perhaps experience of the 10s?
Didnt think abput tuning. Also, looks like woofers for instruments are designed for guitar OR for bass. So I guess one must go for either.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Do you think that applies to regular guitar as well as bass? How about pedal steel?

Even if you don't live in the US or don't want or can't get Eminence; go to their website and explore. They actually have a comparison of the sounds of their different guitar and bass speakers. I'll see if I can copy and paste some here.

Guitar Speaker Tone Guide | Eminence Speaker

I haven't read all the way through; it may be mostly guitar; not sure about bass.

They do have a new pedal steel speaker; I also didn't read about that...lots of info and ideas even if you buy or use another brand...

That Celestion is very good.

AVOID Eminence BP102 , touted as the "SVT speaker".
Yes, it is so, today, they have completely lost the old Classic SVT sound, trying to go deeper they made it muddy as hell.
One breason so many *other* brands appeared, is they offer a sound Ampeg does not any more.

Again recommend the Faital Pro for your Funky Slappy friend.
Check the incredibly extended frequency response and see for yourself.

Just by sheer chance I found a very pertinent YT video: a guy who compares side by side, in a very unsophisticated setting (good, because there is no post processing to confuse you) an old style standby, a Sunn tube head driving a large Sunn cabinet with 2 JBL15" speakers (the cream of the crop) versus a modern Trace Elliot amplifier, driving a system even *smaller* than I suggest: 2 by 8" speakers (not a typo, eight inchers) plus a solitaryb10"

Raw recording, same Bass player, judge by yourself.

He talks too much and introduces a silly "Bass Synthesizer" pedal, but the pure unadultered sound, "as if you were there" is at:

Sunn + huge heavy cabinet with 2 x JBL 15": 0:56 to 1:06

Tiny Trace Elliot + tiny speakers: 3:30 to 3:47

Do tiny speakers sound like toys? ... think again :)

Won´t even mention the logistics (or raw muscle) of moving that fridge of a cabinet compared to a light compact 2 x 10" like the one I showed.

YouTube

Notice this is room sound, not the direct out which is always easier.

EDIT: somebody might say "hey, you said 15" are muddy, those have bright metallic sound"

True, but those are not a generic 15" bass speaker which an average person would use, those are **JBL** D/K/E 130 , the brightest 15" speaker in the World, very heavy and expensive.
IF you can afford and carry them, be my guest.

Similar speakers may be Beyma, RCF or Peavey Black Widow, same design, second source.
Or their "poor Cousin": Electro Voice EVM15L (not 15B)

All expensive backbreaking heavy, huge magnet, edgewound aluminum voice coil .
But your average 15" found everywhere is not in that exclusive club, by far.

Bonus track : Jeff Beck´s talented and beautiful Bass Player, which also favors 4x10 + Tweeter cabinets:
YouTube

Last edited:
Fahey wrote: "Sunn + huge heavy cabinet with 2 x JBL 15": 0:56 to 1:06
Tiny Trace Elliot + tiny speakers: 3:30 to 3:47"

To me the JBL sounds much warmer, rounder, a little woolier. The Trace Elliot snappier and with higher "resolution". I imagine an advanced bassplayer can do more with the Trace Elliot, even if I liked the sound alot through the the JBLs when he was slapping. (This With all disclaimers for unknown variables etc etc.)
Is this a general difference between the sound from good 10in and 15in woofers? Or is it more a question of tuning?
Also, how is it, are there signature sounds from the different major makes Ampeg, Marshall, EBS...?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.