Modular Synth build

I may have uploaded the picture below elsewhere but as it looks right now:
5 VCOs (Yusynth + Thomas Henry XR2206)
3 VCFs (MFOS 24dB, Yusynth diode ladder, Polivoks)
2 (3) VCAs (Thomas Henry and CGS tube VCA)
2 (3) ADSRs (trouble getting the one I have working OK - Yusynth)
3 LFOs (MFOS dual LFO, CGS Psych-LFO, Digisound-80 4xLFO)
1 Noise + 1 Noise & S/H (CGS digital noise, Yusynth)
1 Echo/Reverb (Scott Barnardi PT2399)
1 Ring Modulator (MFOS)
1 Kbd Controller (MFOS)
1 Quantizer (Barton)
1 Arpeggiator (Barton)
1 Analog Shift Register (CGS)
1 Infinite Melody (like the turing machine) (CGS)
1 16 step sequencer (Thomas Henry)
1 Joystick (mee own)
1 USB-MIDI to VC + gate (Mutable Instruments)
1 Clock module for stuff that runs on clocks (mee own)

You're forgetting the most important module of any modular synth: The mixer module.
And as the saying goes: You can never have to many vca's (and mixers).

I've got the modular posted back on post #13.. Started building it probably 25 years ago now. I still have tons of unfinished modules which I hope to build some day.. When I'm less busy being a dad.

BUT.. I got out my synth to play the other day, and man, it's falling apart. Parts are corroding. All the jacks are mysteriously loose. Some of my older plastic jacks shatter when I plug into them. The power has issues, as everything sort of increases in speed and pitch, and decreases, somewhat randomly. It's going to be a HUUUUGE project to get it back in good order. And that's from sitting stationary in a dry cool basement.

So, to anyone building now.. I know it's VERY tempting to build big with cheap components. But slow down. Use high quality jacks and pots and caps, which might mean the synth can't grow as quickly as you'd like due to costs. But in the end, it will be worth it.

For a moment I thought I could mix signals in the VCFs and VCAs, but I realize a mixer comes in handy.
I am not looking for a flashy VC mixer, but a stereo mixer with some panning options is a must.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Trust me, you need more mixers, both cv and audio.
And while you're at it, inverters are a must to.
(Some mixers can do both)

Example for inverter and mixer:
Audio signal into vcf and inverted audio into other vcf (vcf's need to be the same, so get 2 filters that you really like the sound of).
Then mix both filter outputs and turn the knobs. :D
(It doesn't matter if you invert first or later.)

An other tip:
You can drastically change the filter characteristic by adding a tiny bit of audio into the filter cv input. First try the same audio that you input into the audio input. Then try harmonically related stuff. And lastly not harmonically related stuff.

Edit: Vca's are important so you can modulate the modulators. This implies that you also need more LFO's, ADSR's, VCO's, Sequencers, Theremin controllers, joysticks, you'll get the drift. It can get complex and expensive fast

Last edited:
It's not because we haven't posted about this on this forum that things haven't been done :p

At the top: DIY Analogue Modular, with custom case, Low-Noise Linear Reg PSU and custom Power Distribution. Space for more and this is a Eurorack compatible format for which a small power adapter must be made to incorporate commercial ones (just wires).

On its bottom left, what you can see is a custom interface to a Korg DW-8000 it is resting upon.

Below these is a Roland JX-8P restored to its former glory on which is an Akai Tom Cat Analogue Drum Machine with custom mods (ongoing).

Below that is the Korg SQ-1, a nifty affordable CV and MIDI Sequencer. It can also double up as a MIDI-to-CV converter.

Bottom: restored Alesis Micron.

Not shown: Roland JX-3P, restored and already heavily modified for better sound and added functionality, Korg Polysix: restored once, modified, now needs some more work. Got tired working on this - great sound though, Soundcraft Delta 8 Mixer & PSU: modified, Lexicon LXP-15: restored, mods planned (PSU + custom analogue controls for an add-on circuit).

Attachments

• Mod1s.JPG
    Mod1s.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
It's a synth, it's a drum machine, it's a sampler, it's an effects processor?

No... it's a time machine.

The past and the future right now, Digital Modular, at my fingertips.

8 individual outputs doubling up as returns. This is where the 8 go: into that Korg DW-8000 DIY interface, straight into the VCF + VCA sections.

I have built one of the most advanced Hybrid synths in the world...

Attachments

• Kurz_s.JPG
    Kurz_s.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 105
Looking good!

I went down to next town (where there's a music shop) hoping to find a REAL MIDI master keyboard. Yepp, there was one - 6 octave one that was HUGE.

I dunno why the manufacturers just have to use the :forbiddn::forbiddn::forbiddn::forbiddn: USB-connectors instead of the REAL thing. How will I ever be able to use my MIDI-synths??

Btw, I got the PCBs for the Practical Electronics 128 note sequencer. It was messed up but the switching arrangement and only made for 2 octaves. The sequences are stored in a 128x8 RAM, but only 5 bits are used for CV, the other are used for trigg and end signals.

Having decided to go for ONE project at a time and finish that, my modular synth is resting. Besides I cannot find the PSU :confused:

Also, I got the idea of stuffing a small modular synth in an wooden briefcase I have; a small keyboard and some of the most common modules. Just for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 104
Looking good!

Also, I got the idea of stuffing a small modular synth in an wooden briefcase I have

Thanks.

I have one too - already installed support rails in it - then found out that during development and testing of the modules, the briefcase would be taking too much space and be difficult to use. Hence the custom cuboid case. This one has one longer power lead connected and leading out of the case to power the current DIY module being developed or one existing one being tweaked or modified.

I might use the briefcase one day when sufficient complete modules are done or acquired.

In case anyone is interested Cherry Audio has a software version of the Moog / Radio Shack MG-1 synthesizer for the lowest possible price....FREE.

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer | Cherry Audio Store

Warning, I took the bait nearly two years ago, and now I have nearly all of their synths as well as their virtual modular. I might have a bunch of Arturia virtual synths too.

It's far too easy to sit down and play with these.....so much so that I haven't spent much time building my REAL hardware synths.....you have been warned.....

Don't even look at Sugar Bytes Nest. If you can understand it, it becomes the soft synth version of crystal meth.

Sugar Bytes Nest Is Not Boring, by Jim Aikin for SynthAndSoftware.com - YouTube

Nest Tutorial Part 1 - YouTube

It's far too easy to sit down and play with these.....so much so that I haven't spent much time building my REAL hardware synths.....you have been warned.....

Don't even look at Sugar Bytes Nest. If you can understand it, it becomes the soft synth version of crystal meth.

The cool thing about these is that if you run them from a battery operated iphone or iPad (or any other tablet), you get the AC mains isolation for free.

Have you had a look at VCV Rack? Many existing hardware modules are available in virtual form for free.

These days I hardly use the soft synths, I am mostly using the hardware without the DAW even open.

As for rabbit holes, there can be worse: DSP programming for synths and effects (esp. Reverbs)... Now these are very deep ones. Accurate real-time reproduction of analogue non-linearities in digital is hard, and that's not even mentioning the isolation necessary on the analogue side to make it sound good there too.

I recently watched a video of a guy who made a case for a MIDI keyboard and a Behringer D (??) synth, that gave me some ideas.
Apart from wanting to get wooden sides to my MG-1 and Polyvoks, I still would appreciate if I could get myself together and go for a smaller modular.

Yes, these look cool. There's a Waldorf kb37 with insertable modules which is great too.

For mine, there are three other sections planned: one is a middle small part with utility modules like splitters, etc..., and the second one is a set of digital modules with the same size as the first with its own separate PSU. The third is the Keyboard... CV, not MIDI. Some work has been done on it already. Some more is needed for debouncing. Otherwise Key-to-Voltage and Gate and also Key-to-MIDI in polyphonic use has already been tested.

Hey, Tube_Lab! Have you seen the Jasper 2??

A Do-It-Yourself Clone Vintage Synthesiser

I looked at it, but the kit was out of stock, so I forgot about it. The Jasper is a clone of an old Wasp synth. It is a moot point now that Behringer is dumping their Wasp clone synth for $129. You can't build one that cheap.

I recently watched a video of a guy who made a case for a MIDI keyboard and a Behringer D (??) synth, that gave me some ideas.

DIY Wood Case for my FIRST SYNTH w/plans! - YouTube

My first "modular" was very much like this. It had a tray at the bottom for my Keystep, and a place above it for the Behringer D and two or three modules.

That was OK until I got the Neutron and a few more modules. I simply added on to the existing case and built a small power supply for the modules that would not run from only +12 volts.

Then I got the DeepMind.....Start over time. This time I made a new case, number 3. It is seen in post#48. I'm thinking about making something new that's better capable of expandability, and more friendly to odd sized modules. I haven't exactly figured out what that will be yet. Given my propensity for changing my mind, it will be built out of cheap pine wood, and nothing fancy.

The cool thing about these is that if you run them from a battery operated iphone or iPad (or any other tablet), you get the AC mains isolation for free.

Have you had a look at VCV Rack? Many existing hardware modules are available in virtual form for free.

These days I hardly use the soft synths, I am mostly using the hardware without the DAW even open.

I have VCV Rack on my computer, but haven't played with it in some time. I have an 8 input, audio interface on my PC, so I can get sound and MIDI into my PC. There is a 9 channel Samson Mixpad in front of two of those inputs. This allows for lots of stuff flowing into Ableton for manipulation (fixing my bad playing) regardless of what's triggering or sequencing everything.

I wander from doing everything "in the box" to using Ableton as a fancy digital recorder and controlling real hardware from external sequencers. Often I'm somewhere in the middle, depending on mood, and whether an external instrument like a guitar is involved.

I use the Keystep, a NDLR, and a KORG SQ-64 polyphonic sequencer for most of my recent session time so that I can make a list of what I really want in my own sequencer design.

I am quietly working on a stand alone "music box" with multi level sequencing capability as well as several sound generation circuits, both analog and digital. It will be totally stand alone, portable, and battery powered for use far away from the DAW. The pictures show the "controller" breadboard. It is working well enough for the code writing part of the build, not my favorite part. The sound generation breadboard will be the same size and incorporate circuitry from my existing DIY synths.

The controller features 19 RGB LED illuminated rotary encoders, a touch screen, and 16 slide pots.

When you want to integrate: interfacing sw and hw.

I had not seen that video before even though I have seen several of his other videos. I'm definitely going to watch it a few more times and try it out since I shouldn't need to build or modify anything I already have.

Attachments

• P3990537-x.jpg
    P3990537-x.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 115
  • P3990536-x.jpg
    P3990536-x.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 108
  • P3990543-x.jpg
    P3990543-x.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I am assembling (did I ever write about my megalomanic plans in here??) a synth that is maybe too much, using modules that looked "fun".
Butb this is great fun and building my own stuff gives me something back.
However I bought a Concertmate MG-1 in 2019 and paid almost $700 and also that year a Soviet Polivoks at $450.
I could have gotten a bunch of fun Behringer Machines or a DeepMind 12 for that money :eek:.

Well now, as I mentioned it's about getting all the pieces together and as I have material for 5 VCOs 3 or 4 filters and some amps and ADSRs, the suitcase idea may come true.
I just had to check with Synthcude if they could supply me with PCBs and Ics for a pair of MIDI-to-CV modules.

I just had to check with Synthcude if they could supply me with PCBs and Ics for a pair of MIDI-to-CV modules.

My first eurorack module was this one. It has 2 or 4 gate / CV pairs and works good:

hexinverter midi2cv, panel+pcb (BNDHIM2CVEURO08) by synthcube.com

It looks like there are two left in stock, but it is a dead end module as Hexinverter no longer sells to the DIY market.

Synthcube has a 21% off everything Black Friday sale running now until Sunday night at midnight. I will probably get some Eurorack rails and maybe some parts. I'm not buying any more modules until I finish all the unfinished modules in queue.

The coupon code is BF21 and you must be logged into your account for it to work.