KMD GV100D Low distorted output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks

I have a KMD GV100D on the bench at the moment. This is a hybrid amp with a solid state preamp and tube output section with 2 x 6l6's. Similar to Peavey or Music Man I believe!

I've spent quite a bit of time on it and still have a low distorted output.
It had bulged power caps which I replaced put new 6l6 valves in it.

Line out signal is hunky dory so pre amp is good. So problem lies in the output section.

I've been through all capacitors on circuit board they all measure fine with esr and cap meter. Same with all diodes and resistors measured out of circuit. I have replaced some electrolytics anyway.

Voltages on output valves are as follows.

V1
1. 0
2. 0
3. 647V
4. 324V
5. 23V
8. 61V

V2
1. 23V
3. 646V
4. 323V
5. 23V
8. 65V

Tubes are lighting up so I reckon filament voltages are good.
I have also cleaned and re-tensioned the output tube sockets.

Putting a sine wave into the input, there is a good sine wave out of IC9 op amp on pins 1 and 7. Now I’m a little confused when signal gets to T4 and T5 (TIP41C) .

Signal and voltages pretty much the same on both.
Base waveform ok (0.25VAC),
Emitter wave only positive half coming through (1.2VAC) ???
Collector Top half of waveform tailed off. (4VAC)

Base 0.1VDC
Collector 43.3VDC
Emmiter 0.34VDC

Any thoughts on how to get a proper signal running through this beast are very welcome!

Regards

Joe

PDF of schematic should be attached. Keeps timing out so
here's a link hope it works!

KMD 100D | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
There was a typo. Pin 8 on V2 was 65V not 5V. Apologies.

I have also replaced the 2 x TIP 41C transistors.

There was a brief moment yesterday when I touched pin 8 of V1 that I got some proper signal to the speaker. So then I thought it might be bad connections coming from the tube sockets. I re flowed the board around the sockets and checked continuity.

I suppose it is still possible that these sockets need to be replaced.

If for example the output transformer was faulty. If I Input a sine wave I should still get a proper sine wave on the output valves. Yea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.