Sound City studios/Neve etc Documentary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I watched this very good insightful programme the other night. If you are able to view it somehow, i highly recommend it. Watch/Listen out for Rupert Neve being interviewed & talking about some of his "Secrets" !

Documentary produced and directed by rock superstar Dave Grohl (who also appears in the film) in which he uncovers stories about the Los Angeles studio Sound City, where some of the greatest rock albums of all time were perfected and recorded.

Sound City was state of the art when it opened in 1969, featuring a legendary Neve recording console. Through interviews with the musicians and producers who have worked at the studio over the years, the film uncovers and defines the intangible magic within those wires and walls that was responsible for such an incredible history of contemporary music.

For over four decades, it was the birthplace of some of the world's most treasured music, including Nirvana's Nevermind, Neil Young's After the Gold Rush, Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes, Fleetwood Mac's eponymous album and Johnny Cash's Unchained, to name just a few.

Grohl discovers the stories of the iconic bands that recorded there. We learn how Mick Fleetwood met Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham at Sound City, leading to them joining Fleetwood Mac, and discover why musicians and producers such as Butch Vig, Frank Black, Trent Reznor and Lars Ulrich all chose to work in its analogue environment over newer, more state-of-the-art studios. Grohl also tracks the growth of digital music and the inevitable death of analogue recording, which changed the industry and Sound City forever.

The story of Sound City is an integral part of the personal story of Dave Grohl, whose music was forever influenced by those who once recorded in Studio A and left their mark in the form of the many platinum records hanging on the walls within. He completes the film by bringing some of the great names together at his Studio 606 to record a new album on the original Sound City Neve console, culminating in new performances from Rick Springfield, Stevie Nicks, Lee Ving, Josh Homme, Trent Reznor, Krist Novoselic and Sir Paul McCartney.

Featuring contributions from Neil Young, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Trent Reznor, Rick Rubin, Mick Fleetwood, Lars Ulrich, John Fogerty, Jim Keltner, Rick Springfield, Josh Homme, Frank Black, Barry Manilow, Lindsey Buckingham, Lee Ving, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic.

BBC Four - Sound City

Hi guys, Pleasure :)

Since i posted i've discovered it was released in cinemas, although Very briefly, & only in selected ones ! If they had promoted it better, i'm sure more people would have gone to see it, i know i would have :)

I enjoyed most of it, but the last 15 mins or so were a "bit" self indulgent ! Still overall definately not to be missed, as i learnt a Lot :)

The documentary Sound City plays once a month or so on the TV station TBD. I see it over the air on 47.4 in the Dallas area. It's probably available streaming online. The Neve board is described as model 8028 and was made in 1973 or 74. No decent audio chips available at that time so I would imagine lots of opamps made from discrete transistors as well as discrete transistor amplifying stages. I'd be interested in seeing any schematics that can be found, but a google search yields too much garbage.

That Neve 80xx series are one of the best ever made, parts of it are documented, but a full schema is something i've never seen. They must be arround somewhere, because they are restored often now.

The channels are mostly Neve 1073 or Neve 1081 modules, the rest is not so documented.

The Neve board is described as model 8028 and was made in 1973 or 74. No decent audio chips available at that time so I would imagine lots of opamps made from discrete transistors as well as discrete transistor amplifying stages.

You can read Rupert Neve's comments from 2000 abhere (Poon's head)

About half way down he discusses some 1977 consoles (after he'd sold the company). It's clear that they're full of transformers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.