Power transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a guitar amp that currently has a 265-0-265 power transformer and b+ on outputs is 325vdc. I want to replace transformer to get the b+ to 390 anybody know how I calculate this?

65vdc/2=32.5 265+32.5 =300-0-300 transformer?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited:
=265 * 390 / 325

=318

That is what I get.

Are you going to replace all of the capacitors at the higher voltage rating?

Will there be any resistors that need replacing with higher power dissipation ratings?

Will the output transformer be able to handle the increase in power?

Are the output tubes able to handle the increased voltage/power?

Are the interstage tubes going to operate at a higher voltage as well?

Just asking in case you have not thought about it.

:)

First of all, it would be good to know your amp.

Do you want to increase B+, but leave the power tubes' bias idle current the same? That simplifies things a bit.

The rectification is full wave with centre tap. 265 VAC gives 375 Vpeak, and you get 325 VDC.

So 50 volts are lost in the way. If you made an (awfully) crude assumption that idle current is same, and so will be the losses of the new transformer, then you need 390+50=440 Vpeak, which means about 310-0-310.

The above is absolutely incorrect in absolute terms. But gives you a rough estimate in case you want to buy an off-the-shelf, existing model of power transformer.

If you want real calculations, tell us the amp (at least the power tubes), measure mains when B+ is 325 VDC, estimate the regulation of the new transformer (ask the manufacturer, in other terms), give information on the VA rating of the old one etc. :)

Seems like something between 300-305 should do the job. You could try the 300-0-300 solution. But again, it is important to know the mains voltage when measuring B+ - for example, when you got 25 VDC higher, mains could be at 125 VAC, and now it is say 118 VAC. Check that, too. :)

Do you still have the 320-0-320? Why not just put a 250R 5-10 watt resistor in series before the B+ 1 tap to drop the 25 volts?

Or maybe use a tube rectifier to drop the volts, though that may affect the 'sound' of the amp, which I assume you don't want to do?

I don't understand. You have a transformer putting out 530vCT and making 325v. The schematic specifies a 585vCT transformer for the voltages you are seeking. So the reason for low voltages seems clear, and the transformer voltage you need is on the schematic.

When you say 'unfavourable results' what do you mean? Is it just the voltages don't match, or the sound is not what you are after? If it is just the voltages, and it sounds fine, I would not bother messing with it.

I actually like the distortion on a lower voltage but can't get as much clean as I want and more annoying is a buzz in my speaker follow higher notes particularly a and b notes on g and b strings. Must be high freq osc less noticeable on higher strings. I'm still playing with dress leads I can post a pic under the hood? Perhaps someone here can chime in and notice something

Why not just use the 320-0-320? 25V in my opinion would be close enough. Bias it properly and the amp should run fine. If you have an oscillation coming in because of a resistor in the supply then the amp has other problems and won't be running optimally no matter what voltage you use. You need to fix that first.

Why not just use the 320-0-320? 25V in my opinion would be close enough. Bias it properly and the amp should run fine. If you have an oscillation coming in because of a resistor in the supply then the amp has other problems and won't be running optimally no matter what voltage you use. You need to fix that first.

I was about 40-50 volutes over on everything which resulted in a very stiff cold tone. I reduced the voltage and things warmed up and sounded better just too low. :/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.