Please critique my first compressor design (for bass guitar)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I have at home a bunch of EBF89 tubes so i figured i try something new with them. I know, that they are not good for audio use, but im still in the phase of learning, so i think they are the perfect tubes for experiments. If this experiment gives me something usable i would like to implement it in a bass tube preamp (most likely a Alembic f2b copy).

For the last two weeks i have studied some compressor designs and came up with this schematic:

DXYqQH1.png

Im still not satisfied with the design. First of all im not really sure im using the remote cutoff function of the EBF89 correctly. Im thinking about grounding the cathode and using the LDR as a regulator for negative voltage from a separate source. Secondly i would like to have the control over the threshold, attack and release. I would greatly apreciate any hints.

A note: i dont have a EBF89 spice model so for simulations i used a bit different connection (just different values of R1 and R4) and a EL84 (i know its not a good replacement) and the compressor worked.

Thank you for your answers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.