Could the SA-310 bass cab be used for a bass and guitar cab?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can safely use a bass speaker for guitar. The reverse isn't true: bass guitar will make a guitar speaker flap around, causing mechanical damage at higher volumes.

You might find there's too much high treble for distorted guitar use: most guitar speakers stop before 5kHz.

The old Bassman amps had 10" speakers, which is why they worked well for guitar.

If you're using a tube amp and distorting it, then you definitely want to use a guitar speaker. The reason Greenbacks and V30s are two of the most popular guitar speakers is because of the way they filter the tube's distortion.

If you're using a modeling amp with cab simulations, then the extra high end of a bass cab's tweeter would be useful. Even so, few bass cabs are actually flat, which is what you'd want for a modeler.

That said, you won't hurt anything (except your ears ;)) if you play guitar through a bass cab, and if you play clean, you might like it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I reckon it would work
personally I like a more 'mellow' tone for bass
or you might say, less peaked midrange
and peaked mids is exactly what many want for guitar sound

in other words, my personal sound preference for bass might not work very well for guitar
unless you fancy big and mellow tone for guitar :D
could work well with blues music and jazz :scratch:

other people could say the exact opposite

I am trying to avoid having multiple rigs as I play bass, electric and acoustic guitars. I play worship music most often direct through the pa with my pedalboard. But I do need a rig for when I play outdoor shows, coffee houses, etc. I don't have the storage space for two or three rigs.

Would it make more sense to get a 4x10 cab with a freq range of 45hz to 5khz?

Is the Bassman Reissue still reguarded as a decent bass amp? I know they have changed the classification as its typically used for guitar these days.

I am trying to avoid having multiple rigs as I play bass, electric and acoustic guitars. I play worship music most often direct through the pa with my pedalboard. But I do need a rig for when I play outdoor shows, coffee houses, etc. I don't have the storage space for two or three rigs.

Would it make more sense to get a 4x10 cab with a freq range of 45hz to 5khz?

Is the Bassman Reissue still reguarded as a decent bass amp? I know they have changed the classification as its typically used for guitar these days.

You can probably get better for bass guitar: the speakers are in an open-back enclosure, so you won't get much in the way of low end out of it.

I use a sealed 4x10 cabinet and a 300w Laney amp for both guitar and bass. One of the speakers is a dual-cone one that extends out to ~15kHz, making it usable as a half-decent PA system.
Its great for band practice as I put the mixing desk in the fx loop and then iPod, mics, even electric drum kits into the mixer.

Chris

then I would suggest two 10s, and yet another 10" for the 'tweeter job'....
Or maybe a 6", like the Eminence Alpha 6A.

:scratch2: That raises the question, Mr. Thompson, what sort of amp are you using? Tube, or solid state?

.... and the upper 10, you can make that one open back, if you wish :D
Good idea, especially for the acoustic guitar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.