Maximum power of Blackstar ID series?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its just that i dont know what "260" refers to.

Does it mean there are two identical class D amplifiers in there, each with a 60W maximum output.?

If it is that, then thats 120W total, .......but what is the actual Real power draw from the mains when its on absolute maximum power continuously?

if you can tell me what is the Real Power draw from the mains (220VAC) when this 260TVP product is running on continuous maximum power then i'd definetely buy you a pint if we are in the same pub together soon (i'll be in the Avery Pub in Cambridge, UK this coming Tuesday for the England soccer game).

And if you can tell me if this product can handle universal mains input (90-265VAC) then i'll buy you two pints. (or two of whatever you drink).

And if you can tell me why somebody would want a 2X60Watt guitar amplifier (instead of a 1x120W) then i'll buy you a 12 inch pizza to wash the beer down with.
...i.e. can you say why a guitarist would want a stereo amplifier, because the speakers are surely in the same cab(?), and so you dont get the stereo effect, because to get the stereo effect the speakers need to be at least 10 feet apart?

If you can answer the following question, ill buy you a 260TVP:-

Is it possible (without opening the enclosure with a screwdriver) for somebody to attach something to the guitar input of the amplifier, such that the amplifier would run at absolute maximum power continuously?
-I ask this because guitar amplifiers are known for running at average powers far less than there absolute maximum powers because of the "gappy" nature of guitar strumming/plucking........it is widely suspected that most guitar amplifiers are not actually capable of providing their absolute maximum power for more than 1 minute without blowing up.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
What a pointless thread. It's an instrument amp, and the primary reason for choosing it is if it sounds they way you want it to with your guitar(s) and effects, not technical specifications. Everything else is secondary and can be dealt with in other, better ways.

pinkmouse i agree with you.

...thing is, when gigging in fields using a remote generator, you need to limit power consumption, so its nice to know the maximum power draw of the amplifier......as otherwise , we run out of power half way through the show, and out come the acoustic guitars.

Hi,

What is the maximum power draw from the UK mains of this amplifier?:

Its one of those small electric generators which runs on petrol.

When the petrol runs out...thats it,....no more electricity.

The maximum power draw will have little to do with how long the petrol will last because your consumption will vary widely depending on how loud you play. Idle consumption is probably less than 20 watts but full blast thrashing could take you near 200 watts. YMMV :)

200 Watts......?

Are you thereby implying that this amplifier is very inefficient?

...because the maximum power of the highest power ID series product is 2x60W = 120W.

...I am guessing that you are saying that the extra 80 Watts is lost in circuit inefficiencies?

One 60W linear class AB power amp will consume about 90W when delivering a 60W sine wave into a resistive load. A class D power amp will be closer to 60W. The same class AB 60W power amp will consume about 120W when it is delivering a rail to rail square wave into a resistive load. The advertising copy from the manufacturer does not give any details about what circuitry they are employing. I assume they are using a couple of chip power amps like the LM3886.

A conventional power supply with no Power Factor correction is only about 50% effecient when comparing Watts delivered divided by VoltAmps consumed from the power line. A switchmode supply with PF correction will be around 90% effecient. Again, the manufacturer does not give us any clues however, some countries in Europe have restrictions on what kind of power supply is allowed. Ask the manufacturer about the amp's power consumption.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.