Problem with Peavey amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a peavey special 150 and I can hear a distorted sound in the
clean channel(like the lead channel distortion) in the background,
especially when I play very soft.
Why is it doing that?
I've turned down the lead ch. knobs but...nothing change!
I have also changed the speaker and relay switch but I still have got the same problem.
I put the jack in the power in socket and that noise wouldn't go away.
I think the problem might be the final section of the amp. Besides,
while I was looking at the circuit again, I found some transistors
that have been replaced, and they are different from the original
ones. Q5 has been replaced with a bd137 (original transistor MJE243),
Q10 has been replaced with a bd138 (original transistor MJE253) and Q7
has been replaced with a C33725 (original transistor MPS6531 or
2n3642)...here's the schematic http://www.mediafire.com/?wn5koz2cnyj and sample video ‪Peavey special 150 noise‬‏ - YouTube and test with oscilloscope ‪Peavey special 150‬‏ - YouTube
I even changed all the power transistors but the problem remains the same: noise at low volume.
Tnx!

Low level distortion like that is often crossover distortion from the output transistors. Changing those transistors has probably upset the biassing of the output transistors as these are their drivers.
Q7 shouldnt affect anything as it is normally turned off, and only turns on if there is an overload.
Unfortunately the circuit diagram doesnt give typical values of bias current through the output transistors, and with this determined by diodes (CR25,29,30,31,37 etc), there is no way to conveniently adjust it.
One thing you can check - what are the voltages across R73,78,93 & 98 and are they all the same?
Is there anyone with a similar amp who could do some measurements?

as long as I can't afford to happily spend over 20 euros (Diode Dual Peavey Diode Dual SZ13886-DZ89052 30413886 - Stagebeat - DIODE DUAL SZ13886DZ89052 SZ13886-DZ89052- 70413886 30413886) to blindly try and solve the issue, I am happy the way it is

You could 'upgrade' it rather than bodging it :D

Replacing the diodes with a Vbe multiplier is cheap and allows you to adjust the bias.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.