Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

EL34 vs 6L6 for HiFi
EL34 vs 6L6 for HiFi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2015, 02:23 PM   #31
AudioFreak88 is offline AudioFreak88  United States
diyAudio Member

No way try to run 6v6s or 6l6Gs with voltages like that/that high, it isn't going to fly for long...a few people that ran certain 6v6s really high though, pretty sure they knocked down the screens though big time.
Later old stock GTAs some of them will handle the voltages for awhile though, but mostly tops 400-430v plates/screens. I pushed some Sylvania GTAs to 440-450v a few times. 400-430v absolutely cooks the old 6v6s though and sounds damn good doing it too xD

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 22nd April 2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 8th April 2020, 08:18 AM   #32
iamthomasreynolds is offline iamthomasreynolds
diyAudio Member

So now you know some technical differences of 6L6 vs EL34 tubes. 6L6 has a better low range while EL34 has a better mid-range and a huge high range. EL34 has a crisp and crunch sound as compared to 6L6 tubes. you can read more on 6L6 vs EL34 here
Old 10th April 2020, 04:58 AM   #33
32860 is offline 32860
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Kenpeter, the 6L6 is a pentode, KT88 is beam tetrode! (JonSnell; post # 7)
As far as i know the 6L6 is a beam tetrode, not a pentode.
Old 16th April 2020, 11:36 AM   #34
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

EL34 vs 6L6 for HiFi
Yes, Virginia, it's a beam tetrode.

More generally, if in doubt check the Duncan Amps tube data sheet locator. e.g. 6L6

<div class="polemic">triode strap the suckers for HiFi</div>

As done in 1949 - 807 PP on Bonavolt's pages.

Yes, you'll only get 15W rather than 50W but that's only 6db.

If you can find suitable UL iron, try this one from the Fi Primer (yes, they both say 807 but that's just a 6L6 with a different package.
Quote:
807 Push-Pull Ultralinear
20 Watts at 0.1% HD Class A Tetrode OPT XFMR: 5K -7K
This is an interesting amplifier that uses a clever combination of subtle tricks to get tremendous performance from a simple design. The mix of positive and negative feedback with screen grid feedback, the cross-coupling of the transformer secondaries with the cathodes of the output stage higher current/lower voltage operating point insure wideband linear amplification, low phase shift, and low output impedance. 807s are a strangely overlooked output tube. Why, I really don't know. So many crappy amps have been made with 7868's,8417's,6LF6's,KT90's,KT-99's, and KT-100's etc.; i.e. really weird tubes (Barkhausen plates anyone?) The 807 on the other hand has no quirks other than its simplicity and reliability. It has class A operation good to the low mhz range and a plate dissipation of 25 watts. The tubes are plentiful and inexpensive. What more can one ask of a beam tube? This amp will hold its own against any "high end" pentode amplifier regardless of cost.

Last edited by thoglette; 16th April 2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Add original text
Old 17th April 2020, 01:04 AM   #35
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL504 View Post
As far as i know the 6L6 is a beam tetrode, not a pentode.
somehow, i find beamers much more to my liking, thus my penchant for TV scanners....
Old 17th April 2020, 01:51 AM   #36
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

EL34 vs 6L6 for HiFi
The 6L6 is better.

Old 17th April 2020, 04:09 AM   #37
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder if the OP actually built an amp. That was over 9 years ago.

jeff
Old 18th April 2020, 01:35 AM   #38
nauta is offline nauta  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
I know, there must be hundreds of such discussions everywhere, but they all seem to be regarding guitar amps where the interest is in distortion characteristics. I need to know the subjective and the objective differences between the two, especially in SET application.

Any subjective listening opinion on the qualitative differences?

What should I know about the technical differences to build a SET amp around them?

Thanks

The subjective descriptions you hear about the sound of these tube types tells you something important which is based on objective facts. The EL-34 is often described as being "brittle" or having "more detail", and the 6L6 is "flat" or "lacks bite" or "is neutral".

All these impressions come from the fact that the 6L6 is actually a more linear tube with less distortion than the EL-34. There is something altogether "wrong" with true tetrode and pentode tubes using grids for screens. RCA got it right with the beam forming plates and designed a lower distortion tube. If you want clean hifi sound, stick with 6L6, 6550, real 6CA7s - stay away from all the KTs, EL-84 and EL-34.

The 6V6 is an oddity and has high-THD too.
Old 18th April 2020, 01:49 AM   #39
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

beamers with G2 supplied with low impedance psu sounded better than UL to my ears...
Old 18th April 2020, 05:12 AM   #40
32860 is offline 32860
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
All these impressions come from the fact that the 6L6 is actually a more linear tube with less distortion than the EL-34.
Do you have a source for this claim? Philips claims otherwise (source: pages 307-310 of "Toepassing van de electronenbuis in radio-ontvangtoestellen en versterkers", Deel V, Philips, 1951: Philips Electronenbuizen Boek V 1951 ). But as the inventor of the pentode Philips could be biased…

Quote:
RCA got it right with the beam forming plates and designed a lower distortion tube.
The beam tetrode was not invented by RCA but by EMI (British).

EL34 vs 6L6 for HiFiHide this!Advertise here!