KORG AX-3g modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mean modification on audio stage (probably only possible) before and after ADC/DAC, replacing caps on the signal path, maybe opamps, better power supply filtering...
Korg is stop production of this model and similar other: AX3A, AX3B, AX5A...
All share same PCB and similar schematics.

Thanks for replay Enzo. And sorry for my bad English.

Hi Vangelis,

I am not a Korg support centre nor Korg Technician, but I am quite certain that Korg will not tell you what modifications to do on their products, simply because it's not their business to do so. You should try Gearslutz.com in the "electronic music" forum (and maybe other forums also other forums), there are a lot of people who do that kind of thing in the gearslutz community.

If you tell use what opamps are in the unit and what type of capacitors (pictures would be nice too) then we can suggest to you some better modern-day equivalents.

by the way, sorry for asking but are you... Vangelis, the musician?

cheers,

gain-wire

Hi Vangelis,

I am not a Korg support centre nor Korg Technician, but I am quite certain that Korg will not tell you what modifications to do on their products, simply because it's not their business to do so. You should try Gearslutz.com in the "electronic music" forum (and maybe other forums also other forums), there are a lot of people who do that kind of thing in the gearslutz community.

If you tell use what opamps are in the unit and what type of capacitors (pictures would be nice too) then we can suggest to you some better modern-day equivalents.
gain-wire

Many thanks for reply. My digital camera is broken and I will try to find another and make some photo. Anyway I find with scope several electrolytic capacitors on signal path. Yes, these is Elna, but I like metal film more.

by the way, sorry for asking but are you... Vangelis, the musician?

cheers,
gain-wire

Oh my God!!! Nice joke! Unfortunately I'm not real Vangelis ;););)
Real Vangelis is my music idol and I just using his name as my nikname...
:D cheers

No, Korg will not tell you how to modify their products. The point of contacting Korg is to obtain the schematic so we would know WHAT we are trying to modify. Korg doesn;t need to know our purpose.

Of course, I understand that Korg will not tell me about modding, but I can't find proper contact of Support Center on KORG site, where I can ask for schematic. :confused:
My country, unfortunately, has no KORG service center...

I mean, I put audio signal generator (sine wave 1KHz) on Korg input and check every electrolytic cap with oscilloscope. Then I replace all of them with metal film capacitors (Wima), except C26/C32 which i replaced with 22u tantalum.
Sound became a lot transparent.

This is the list of what I exactly changed:
C3 0.1u >> 100n/63V Wima MF
C39,C76,C79 10u >> 1u/63V Wima MF
C26,C32 100u >> 22uF/16V Tantalum (better solution is 10u/16V Wima MF)

On every filter supply electrolytic cap I have put once more 100n/50v ceramic cap in parallel on solder side of PCB.

For everybody who's want do this upgrade: be very careful when you unsolder stock caps, PCB wires can be damage easily. Maybe better way is carefully cutting leads of stock caps and then unsolder one by one.

Anyway, result of this delicate job is much better dynamic, transparent sound, especially on clean sound presets and bypass mode.

Sorry, but I steel have not good digital camera for photos of my modifications.

Ah, I understand. You know, until now I thought the AX-3g was a synthesizer! I searched for it on the web and found out it's an effects processor. Now I know why you wanted to change capacitors in the signal path. I was thinking for a synthesizer, why someone would bother to change capacitors, but for an effects processor, I understand.

Thank you for the details of your findings.:)

Korg AX3G modification

I have one of this, which i sold to a friend, he damaged and i recovered and repaired it, but the frame was broken, so instead of making a new box, i took off the pedal, and i am now attaching a photocell. THe idea is having a light beam from a LED to the photosensor. It's already tested and it works. There are no diagrams in the Internet, but i can send you pictures of the board. Is the same for several models, with some components stripped out. I noticed that there is a place for the expression pedal input, but you can use the proper pedal and attach any kind of variable resistor up to 10 kOhm. TRy with a phototransistor, or a inclinometer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.