Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

Hi folks, I found DIYaudio through links from other audio places and websearches related to multiway speakers and crossovers, but I saw this thread and thought members would appreciate a DIY effort of mine from ten years ago:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020411030711/www.mindspring.com/~benbradley/
I have a bunch of guitar-building books, and the most influential was "Guitarmaking:Tradition and Technology" by Cumpiano and Natelson. I've tweaked it over the years and it's as playable and good-sounding as ever.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hey, nice thread. This is my DIY Champ:

Attachments

• champ2.jpg
    champ2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 625
  • champ4.jpg
    champ4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 514
  • picture 006.jpg
    picture 006.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 467
Reactions: 1 user
Here is an update of my gear.

I installed a Celestion Vintage 30 in the lower sealed section and a Celestion "GreenBack" in the top semi open part.

Thats my '09 Gibson BFG Les Paul, I absolutely love this thing, practically plays itself.

I have some burlap to make a grill cloth for this, just got to get around to making a frame for it.

Attachments

• BFG & Celestions.JPG
    BFG & Celestions.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 775
A zebra and a P90 in that Les Paul? Great, with respect to a grille for your cabinet, what about this stuff:
images

By the way, I dropped off all my project parts for the five string shortscale at a local guitarbuilder, with this as a result:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Plays like a dream, and sounds great. Still busy sorting out the final electronics though, proving a bit of a PITA (B1 buffer per pickup, filter per pickup, active mixing stage).

Envelope Shaper ?

Hi,
I have just finished building an electric vielle. The keyboard uses strings and a humbucker pick-up like an electric guitar but the rhythm is generated from an IR laser system that monitors the wheel speed. The drones come from a synthesizer module inside the instrument's body with the other electronics. All the sounds and effects can be regulated and mixed before output to a power amp. It works fine but I really need an ADSR envelope module to shape the rhythm pulses. Does anyone have knowledge of a simple circuit that works off a 9V supply that would do the trick? All I can find are schematics for synthesizers and they use +/- 18V which is OK if you have access to a transformer. My vielle is portable and uses batteries; consumation has to be at a minimum.

Thanks for any help.

Vielle568

Hi Vielle

Your instrument looks real cool.

Not sure why I'm posting the Boss Slow Gear, but
The SG-1 has become a cult and highly collectable item (hence the $475 tag for a 2nd hand one).

It is an envelope shaper of sorts, check the net for what people think of it, it's a bit different.

There are clones of the SG-1 about (see PDF, the 3rd thumbnail, I changed the file extension to .ZIP to allow it to be uploaded, as it's quite big. If you want to look at it just change the file extension back to .PDF and open with Adobe reader as normal !).

Also check out diystompboxes.com as most of the stuff there is powered by 9 volts.

Cheers Simon...:cool::eguitar:

Attachments

• Cult Boss Slow-Gear SG-1 bit expensive nowdays.jpg
    Cult Boss Slow-Gear SG-1 bit expensive nowdays.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 526
  • bosssg1.gif
    bosssg1.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 606
  • (Boss Slow-Gear Clone)swellinstructions.zip
    579.1 KB · Views: 111
Thanks! In those photos there's no pickup installed yet. It now has a PVDF pickup under the bridge foot. I put a JFET source follower on the violin too, which helps reduce noise, hum, and HF rolloff when using long cables.

I'll see if I can make a picture this weekend.

That violin looks great! What kind of pickup is in there? I would clip the stringends a bit shorter, or they'll take out an eye :)

Zaubertuba, what kind of speakers are you using in the fearful (especially the 6"one)?

The 12" is an Eminence 3012 LF, and the 6" midrange is an Alpha 6A. I'm using an Eminence PXB3:3K5 crossover--crossover points are 500K and 3,500K.

It really pumps out the lows amazingly well, and at least in listening has a very smooth response. The wiki for it is here: Fearful? 12/6 & 15/6 - TalkBass Wiki

Gday Everyone,

I noticed this is the place to put some pictures of my guitars.

I am a Luthier of many years, the Guitars are my Signature Series hand crafted from Australian timbers dated in the thousands of years.
The timber was felled in about 1914 by the soldier settlers returning from the war.

They have very unique tonal qualities, the angled head Guitars are for Blues with very warm tones when played clean or any style through effects pedals.

The other style shown is especially suited for people who prefer to play with the fingers rather than use a pick. These also have a very warm tone & can certainly be used with a pick through effects pedals etc.
These are designed to be very bright so when played with the thumb & fingers it tones them down about equal to someone else playing with a pick on the angled head style.

Both styles have a lot of harmonics & a great natural Timbre.

Hope you like them.

All designs & Pictures are copyright of course.

Cheers
WDCW
Linguist Guitars

Attachments

• Linguist Guitars.zip
    894.8 KB · Views: 115