Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

One more AX84 High Octane

Here's my High Octane. I have the standard EL84 as well as the 6N1P power tube option. I wired up just one triode, so the 6N1P option is 0.5 Watts.

I've used one of Tom's Neurochrome products to put DC on the filaments to keep the noise and hum down and because this is my first point to point scratch build I was a little worried about filament hum.

I replaced the R2 in the power supply with a Hammond 194E 30H choke. The smoothing cap that follows that (47 uF) was replaced with a 1300 uF electrolytic capacitor paralleled with a 80 uF run motor cap.

The next 2 smoothing caps are a 33 uF electrolytic paralleled with a 15 uF run motor cap giving 48 uF.

The OPT is a Transcender 5 watt.

Would you be surprised if I were to tell you that the amp is quiet? ;)
Wonderful clean and a clean distorted, if that makes any sense....

Attachments

• 20210602_181426.jpg
    20210602_181426.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 20210602_181514.jpg
    20210602_181514.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 20210602_183235.jpg
    20210602_183235.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 224
  • AX84 Hi Octane 101004.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: 1 users
Three of my diy guitar amplifiers (the one with 2 x EL86 pp is electronically finished but still needs some work on its enclosure).

E80F + E81L se photo.jpg

EF86 + 2 x ECL86 pp photo.jpg

EF86 + E92CC + 2 x EL86 pp + EZ80 + 2 x ZZ1040 photo.jpg

Attachments

• E80F + E81L se schematic.jpg
    E80F + E81L se schematic.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 177
  • EF86 + 2 x ECL86 pp schematic.jpg
    EF86 + 2 x ECL86 pp schematic.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 192
  • EF86 + E92CC + 2 x EL86 pp + EZ80 + 2 x ZZ1040 schematic.jpg
    EF86 + E92CC + 2 x EL86 pp + EZ80 + 2 x ZZ1040 schematic.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My new three channel high gain amp with D-Class output. The preamp consists of an SS effect loop, two high gain channels with four 12ax7 stages and a partly SS clean channel. The D-Class power amp and the HV booster are standart units from aliexpress with almost no modifications. It is intended for home use.. I run the amp with 14V DC and can get probably up to 8W.

Image2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've been posting all of this stuff over at TDPRI.com, since Rob Robinette has a following—and I've learned a lot from him...But DIYAudio is really my home...for all other non-instrument amp projects.

2x 5F1 Champs (different speakers, one was a gift)
PF-5F1-Build_01.jpg

PF-5F1-Build_02.jpg

1x 5E3 (build number 3)
PF-RobRob-5E3_11.jpg

PF-RobRob-5E3_16.jpg

1x Princeton Reverb Head, plus 2X10 base cab.
PF-AA1164-Build_18.png

PF-AA1164-Build_13.jpg

1x Vibroverb Head Amp
AB763-VV_14.jpg

AB763-VV_12.jpg

AB763-VV_16.jpg

All have a fair number of mods, but keep the OG circuit stock.... It's been quite an education!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
A practical and small push-pull power amp, which can work with most of the power tubes. The power transformer tends to get a bit hot with EL34s, but it will possibly keep up.

After taking the photos I have added a LND150 stage and a second input for using with low level input signals (from buffered FX loops for example). This was really necessary..

Image2.jpg
Image3.jpg

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
A practical and small push-pull power amp, which can work with most of the power tubes. The power transformer tends to get a bit hot with EL34s, but it will possibly keep up.

After taking the photos I have added a LND150 stage and a second input for using with low level input signals (from buffered FX loops for example). This was really necessary..
Such a litte cutie.:love:

Wow, a lot of awesome work in this thread! Nice synth, @soundbrigade!

I have been building synthesizers and controllers for years now, here are some of them:

studio5.jpg

My latest is a set of modules that I designed using 1J24b tubes:

serfrack1.jpg

And before that was the ThunderWave ribbon controller:

thunder1.jpg

Lots more on my website and Youtube:

http://www.epeasant.com

Take care,
Doug

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
You definitely beat my, not by miles but by lightyears ....:wave2:

I have paused all ongoing projects just to start and FINISH (this time) a MIDI Ultimate, a synth from British Soundtronics that is based on Ray Wilson's SoundLab Ultimate, but beefed up a little (ADSRs instead of ARs and an echo module and a MIDI module).

Soundtronics MIDI Ultimate

Besides, I am spending most of my days supporting 28 Ukrainian refugees (women with children mostly) living at our refugee camp, so there's not much time left. However today I will try to solder the VCOs. It's a one-board synth that is actuallu organised like separate modules.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely beat my, not by miles but by lightyears ....:wave2:
Your project looks better than my first efforts, we all started at the same place. :)
Besides, I am spending most of my days supporting 28 Ukrainian refugees (women with children mostly) living at our refugee camp, so there's not much time left.
This is a far greater accomplishment than any electronic DIY project, good for you!

Take care,
Doug

Vintage suitcase guitar practice amps

Back on this forum after a very long hiatus.

I have been making these little practice amps out of suitcases from the flea market. The electronics are my own, with tremolo, overdrive, and FV-1 DSP-based spring reverb (inspired by my son's love of surf rock). The power amp is a 50W Class-D board with a 19V laptop power supply brick.

I have sold a few under the moniker "Tramp Sound", but I want to stay small and local, and they take a lot of time to build. Just a fun hobby.

I just love these!!

I've been making wooden melodicas, using 3D printing and more traditional methods.

wooden melodica.jpg

I'm looking into how I can add some pickup mics inside, so I can amplify.

A suitcase amplifier would compliment nicely!

I would love to hear how that sounds. Looks VERY good—what about piezo pickups? Inside someplace.

Here's a recent Trainwreck Express guitar amp—no end in sight on building guitar amps! DIY Trainwreck ethos intact, faceplate etc....It's a beast to play.

PF-TWExpress-Manning_15.jpg

Attachments

• PF-TWExpress-Manning_12.jpg
    PF-TWExpress-Manning_12.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 107