Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

6n6p tube as output tube for small guitar amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2010, 07:11 AM   #11
jungle1971 is offline jungle1971  Germany
diyAudio Member

here we go...

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

CK Amps - Fuzzy Pup

maybe you can find some hints and tips for you project.

i use 6n6p in pushpull mode for hifi and it sounds amazing.

cya
Old 31st March 2010, 08:32 PM   #12
moonbird is offline moonbird  United States
diyAudio Member

Jungle -- Sorry for the absence -- life just does not give up easy sometimes .

Anyway - this schematic is facinating - particularly the limiter circuitry. Please discuss this effect and how you use it?

Also -- I presume the 125V @ 60mA near the PT pertains to the secondary - correct? thx. again.
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Proper use of Russian tubes - the rest of the story

Back again - sorry for the delay -

When I mentioned the firefly design I was interested in more than just the output tube. I would also be interested in finding out Russian tube replacement suggestions for each of the tube in the design - along with the required component changes. My object here is not to reinvent the firefly -- but rather to *learn* about the proper usage of Russian tubes as themselves rather than as replacements for western tubes. The more hints you can provide the better. Hope you are watching Wavebourn. thx.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by moonbird; 2nd April 2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:16 AM   #14
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jungle1971, I would be interested to see your schematic for 6N6P PP as I have a chassis built for this project and was going to "wing it" for the schematic. Any chance of sharing it?

Moonbird, try here for info on 6N1P and 6N2P.

Ian.
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:31 PM   #15
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Moonbird, isnt that a typo on the plate impedance on the transformer (2500/8 OHm)?

Did you mean 2500/8 ohms?
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Think it is right --

Gimp -

No I think 22K5 impedence is correct - I downloaded this from the "old projects" area on AX84.

There is a guy who sells OTs for this project and he lists the impedence as 22K5 as well. See the OT5PP...

P-P OUTPUT XFMRS - A Thermionic Webplace

Let me take the opportunity to highly recommended the offerings from Musical Power Supplies. I have had great luck using both his PTs and OTs. Matt is a great guy to work with as well.
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
Moonbird, try here for info on 6N1P and 6N2P.
Ian - this is good info. much appreciated. I too would like to see a PP schematic for the 6N6P from jungle as well as some info about the limiter circuit (interesting thing to put in a hifi amp don't you think? -- at least I *think* it is a hifi).

I am still hoping to hear from Wavebourn -- this thread is trying to get more info about a statement he made in another thread where he claimed that many Russian tubes don't sound good because they are not used correctly. I picked the Firefly as a discussion point because it uses multiple triodes and would be a great (easy) platfrom to start experimenting. I am very interested in which tube would be recommended for the cascoding, for example.

I am hoping Wavebourn will share some of his experience in how to make these tubes sound their best.
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Tubes of any nationality / origin not sound good because not properly used.

Speaking of guitar amp, Gregg's amp is very well designed. I recommend you to build it as is. Vary - Mu limiter in his amp is nice for a lead guitar! But even don't think of using it for hi-fi - distortions will sound horrible.

You may modify the amp a little bit, if you prefer a single ended sound for your guitar. Just use a gapped output tranny and parallel triodes as discussed earlier.

Good luck!
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:28 PM   #19
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I must be doing the load line wrong, I've got a bias point of 160V with 18ma and a swing to 300V at cutoff and 40mA at saturation giving a single tube load of 7500 Ohms. P-P would be 15,000 so I guess 22,500 isn't too far off.
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Yep, and standard 4-5K from old tube radio or TV for paralleled triodes.

6n6p tube as output tube for small guitar ampHide this!Advertise here!