modding small (10-20watt) tube amp for guitar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ive recently become more interested in tube amps. i have a 120watt valve amp already but i am interested in making a small 10 watt or so tube guitar amp..

is there anyone with some beginner designs out there? or perhaps suggestions for modding BABY HUEY or other existing small amps?

hey-Hey!!!,
Before taking on a ground-up build, consider modifying a mic-capable PA amp. These things are a fine place to start, they've usually got more than enough gain, tone controls, and the chassis already in place. They're also pretty cheap compared to the Hi-Fi amps. You can try all sorts of mods too. Building a better power supply for one...:) though the PS of a geetar amp seems to follow different rules than Hi-Fi for some reason.
cheers,
Douglas

I'd second bandersnatch, that's how I did my first little guitar amp. Chassis work is hard without appropriate equipment or friends with a metal shop. Just stay away from those ugly little tube radios with no power transformer and you'll be fine.

With guitar, frequency response isn't nearly as critical, and some tone controls are not so good. Power supply quality is a matter of taste--the worse the power supply, the more "sag" and "compression" and "marketing class A" you can get. The better, the more "punch" and "drive" etc. Some hum is generally acceptable to guitar players, but a quiet one will have more apparent dynamics and character (all the small stuff lost in the bzzz). Of course most guitars themselves hum too. Replacing electrolytics is essentially a must, older chassis will eventually let out the smoke with stock capacitors.

Here's a link along Bandersnatch's line of thought, the fun part is finding a cool chassis too!
Converting Integrated/PA Tube Amps into Guitar Amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.