First guitar amp build power supply question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've got the transformers. Hammond 374BX for power and 1650NA for the output. 4H choke. Its going to be running two EL34s. NOw, I will readily admit that this amp is based off of a Super Reverb AA1069. But barely. The taps for the B+ coming off the power xfrmr are 375 volts, and the original Fender filter caps for the power stage are two 70mfds, but I want more punch, and I was going to bump them up to 200 to 220mfd. Its going to have SS rectification as well. The OT is rated for 60 watts.

Bumping up the filter caps to 200-220mfd each would be safe, right?

You don't need a lot of cap with a PP amp, because the rail noise is cancelled out in both the PI and output circuit. It's the divider down the line that needs the smooth power.

I've never used more than 47uF --> 5H --> 47uF to the power tubes and all has been well. But since you're using SS, Akita's advice looks nice :)

Oh... do use fast recovery types - it makes a difference.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.