Reducing tremolo beating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My peanut is overactive again tonight...sorry. I have a small SE amp with tremolo that has an annoying beating...especially with the intensity control up a ways..(Duh). I replaced the ceramic disc craps with poly...no difference. I increased the value of the first 2 caps from.01 to .022...still no difference. Any suggestions ??? I know this is mainly an audio forum, and I apologize, but this forum is the best one I've been on...and that's a few...:confused:

Hi,
The "beating" comes from the intensity control circuit; instead of making the caps bigger, try making them smaller. Can you post a schematic? Of course, by getting rid of the "beating", the tremolo effect will become less pronounced. The "beating" is caused by the "sound envelope" turning off, or closing too much on the sound coming through the amp.
I don't know if I am explaning myself very clearly here.
I worked on a guitar preamp kit years ago where you had to adjust the tremelo effect with a trimmer pot that was in series with the "intensity" control. Basically you were supposed to adjust it to where the "beating" was no longer noticeable.
Hope this helps... Daniel

I can't find a scheme for that model. The DM 25 appears to use the "roach" type as used in most BF/SF Fenders. Those are known for creating the thump/tick from the pulse being transferred from some wires into others, (thru the air.) I was able to resolve the issue on my '71 by employing one of the "fixes" that Fender eventually employed themselves. Yours may or may not be experiencing that issue.

The caps you mentioned may be the ones that control the speed.

As mentioned, some thump may be normal.

Yeah, I can't find a schemo for the DM10 either...just the DM25. I know the DM10 does not use an optocoupler...I am familiar with them having rebuilt several Fenders. I have never had an am throb like this one...not just a pulsing, but sounds almost like a heartbeat. If the 3 caps are for speed, then changing them won't help...probably in the intensity. What about changing the intensity pot? :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.