Help me to learn electric guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I really want to learn electric guitar. My favorite electric guitarists are BB King, SRV, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour etc.

How difficult is it for a fingerstyle player to learn electric guitars and be able to play Blues Solo? I only play with thumpick and three fingers and never learn to play with a pick. And I am very new to scales etc. I personally feel that learning online lessons could be a better option then going to private classes…Anyone here knows a good source for online lessons for beginners interested in electric guitars.

marina.marina said:
Hello everyone,

I really want to learn electric guitar. My favorite electric guitarists are BB King, SRV, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour etc.

How difficult is it for a fingerstyle player to learn electric guitars and be able to play Blues Solo? I only play with thumpick and three fingers and never learn to play with a pick. And I am very new to scales etc. I personally feel that learning online lessons could be a better option then going to private classes…Anyone here knows a good source for online lessons for beginners interested in electric guitars.

I have no experience with online lessons, but I don`t think it is better than a real teacher who can point out flaws in your playing that you might not see yourself. (depends on the teacher of course). But as a former classical guitar teacher myself I might be biased...

To change playing style is never easy, but how hard it is depends very much on how you do it.

In my opinion the fastest and best way to learn something new is to go slow, then go much much much slower till its allmost unbarably slow and apply perfect technique, and then gradually increase speed till you just start to go out of control, then start all over again. And buy yorself a metronome if you don`t have one.

Regards,
Peter

Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, and others, have been making instructional videos that might give you some ideas. Google "Hot Licks" for more information.
Music stores usually sell Hot Licks' VHS and DVDs along with their printed library, but I usually just rent the DVDs from netflix.
Eric J, and Steve Morse have each made several videos for Hot Licks, and Eric J spends a fair amount of time covering Wes Montgomery's style in the videos. (Along with Jeff Beck's, and Clapton's, Hendrix's styles too.)
These guys are so freakin' good it makes me wanna give up playing. It's quite humbling.

For me Guitar teachers were a waste of money, They give you a lesson and once you mastered it they would tell you to do it over and over again "While you are Paying them to do nothing but watch you" ....

If you think you have an ear for music then just get a Tab book of your Favorive electric guitar songs and listen to the songs while you learn them...I didn"t even use tab books I would just listen to a song I liked and after hearing it a couple times I had the song down (Minus Leads).....

:D

I applaud your decision to go online. A good source to learn electric guitar for beginners is hotstrings.
This is a cool new and fast beginner course without notes. Here you learn a short version of the basic elements of playing the guitar. The crash course has 30 daily lessons of different song styles such as rock ballads, pop songs, reggae, modern pop, funk and soul. Direct downloadable to your pc.

seems like you're mainly into blues; just get some CDs you like and jam along, it's not that hard. As to style, being a pick player, I admire anyone who can play fingerstyle, gives you much greater flexibility in what you can play. Mark Knopfler uses his fingers, Martin Simpson is another great finger style player.
Learning scale patterns is useful, but blues is based on a simple pentatonic scale, plenty of info on this stuff online.
The only problem I can see with not using a pick is that it may make it more difficult if you're trying to emulate a particular player's sound, but ultimately you'll develop your own style anyway...

Try Google Video and do a search for the songs you want to learn. Also put "cover" in the search criteria. Different people post videos of themselves playing the song and show the guitar chords.

I did a search for a Zeppelin song that I love, "Ten Years Gone". Then when I added "cover" I saw how others played it
See: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q="ten+years+gone"+cover&hl=en&sitesearch=

Then I found this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...s+gone"+cover&ei=ZgEtSIfRNqOqqwL76ZTlDQ&hl=en

And from there, this site along what you might be looking for: http://www.vanderbilly.com/

Now that you get the idea I am sure you can find what you need. If you find something special, return the favor and post it here for all of us other guitarists here!

Oh, and BTW, nothing beats an excellent guitar teacher! He will always be pushing you (or he should be).

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

I learned to play electric guitar (with a pick) by ear from Ventures LP's lo these many years ago. It was a real revelation to see Nokie Edwards playing Walk Don't Run finger style when I finally saw them in person for the first time. (It was 20-25 years later at the Keystone in Palo Alto). It explained a lot of things. Frankly you can't play Walk Don't Run the way they do unless you do play it finger style.

I think you're in a good place.

The important thing that needs to be learned when moving from acoustic to electric is string control. That means keeping the strings from making sound when they're not supposed to.

GL

As a long-term guitar player (now mostly blues) my advice is to treat learning to handle a pick as a complimentary activity, not a complete change-over to some other technique. I mostly amuse myself multi-tracking these days and often choose to do the backing riff finger-style and the lead line with a pick. Worth bearing in mind also that, BB King for example, gets his blues out of economy with the notes he plays. So you don't have to go crazy playing fast at all. Blues is about feeling not speed of playing!
Also, to encourage you, I used to go watch Eric Clapton playing every week at a pub in Croydon in the mid 1960's. Nothing remotely like the EC we see today of course but everyone, including he, had to start somewhere!
Interestingly although I play fingerstyle I never have got the hang of using a thumb pick ... so you're ahead of me there! If you're keen on going the plectrum route then buy a few of different hardnesses and shapes. I find the small/hard 'jazz' picks best for blues. They're slippery things so its a good idea to criss-cross score both sides of the bit between your thumb and first finger if they don't come that way else you'll be dropping them.
For blues choice of strings can be important. I tend to use the lightest guage I can find, usually .008s. Makes note bending somewhat easier.
A cheap multi-effect box will probably inspire you too. One I use a lot is a Digitech RP50 ... inexpensive ... but loads of different sounds from just the one unit.
By the way some of my own blues stuff is on ... http://www.soundclick.com/rojalesbluesband
... if you're interested. All the guitar parts (including octave-dropped bass) are from my old home-made.
Have fun!

If you think you have an ear for music then just get a Tab book of your Favorive electric guitar songs and listen to the songs while you learn them...I didn"t even use tab books I would just listen to a song I liked and after hearing it a couple times I had the song down (Minus Leads).....

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this kind of mentality is what leads to guitar players not being taken seriously as musicians. You can learn other peoples stuff all you want, but don't trick yourself into thinking that just because you can play the solo to stairway, that makes you a guitar player or a musician. If all you want to do is play other people's crap then by all means do this, but if you actually want to become a functional guitar player then get a teacher...A good one, not from axe music or a big shop like that, head to a college or something and get them from someone who is educated they won't cost you much more but you'll get a whole lot more out if it.

From the list of players that you're interested in, check out something called hybrid picking. It's used by Eric Johnson, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, and a whole whack of other folks. I think that might give you the best of both worlds, and given that you've already invested a fair amount of time in fingerpicking, you'll pick it up quick.

Minion said:
For me Guitar teachers were a waste of money, They give you a lesson and once you mastered it they would tell you to do it over and over again "While you are Paying them to do nothing but watch you" ....
I would never return to such an instructor; they would be crap and wasting your time and money (WOFTAM for Aussies).
Tristanc1 said:
but if you actually want to become a functional guitar player then get a teacher...A good one, not from axe music or a big shop like that, head to a college or something and get them from someone who is educated they won't cost you much more but you'll get a whole lot more out if it.
Hear, hear!

perception and subjectivity

IMO......playing music and being a musician may indeed be two different things, but as mentioned earlier, you gotta start somewhere, and making music is just that.....MAKING music, whether its been done before or not....

my father is a great guitar player, never really wrote his own stuff, but i would still consider him a FINE musician, better than most(wasnt it BB King who said that the nine of the ten best players will never be "discovered"?).

For the poster than states that unless you write youre OWN stuff you arent a real musician....then you obviously havent listened to very much "different" music.........no offense, but most of it has already been done, different times, different riffs, different arrangments, even different nuances.....the "roots"; especially to "rock" are all the same....think 3 5 7.....yeah, you can throw some tricky stuff in there, but its really still all the same.....thats the beauty of music....even for the more complicated stuf......thats the "language" of music, it IS all the same.....how you "speak", is what makes you unique....imitation is a good start, and to quote(paraphrase) once again.....bill monroe encouraged garcia, grisman, and the like to "learn" bluegrass...then make their own music......both of which have done so most impressively.....IMO....and a few others ta boot......

IF you have the ability....then yeah tabs, a clean cd(or even vinyl) and a good ear may be all you need to get on your way. This is how i learn, and thats how i look at it.....ive been learning for almost 20 years this way, and i hope to continue to do the same for twenty more..... there is nothing more satisfying than "teaching' myself a "new" song...

I pick some.....i pluck some....then i learn to do both...different sounds for different effects......but then again I play for myself......not for anyone else.....

as for "functional" players.....they may just be imitating their "good" teachers.....again, no offense, but thats just a self contradicting statement......im sure there are good teachers out there....but i am also sure that the best thing they can teach is to teach you how to teach yourself......

sorry if that ruffled feathers......thats just how i pick at it......

camusmuse, you make some good points. Although I think it needs to be said that if you're teaching yourself, which I do think is possible, there has to be more going on than just checking out tabs.

no offense, but most of it has already been done, different times, different riffs, different arrangments, even different nuances.....the "roots"; especially to "rock" are all the same....think 3 5 7

Think you mean 1-4-5. And I agree a lot of it has been done before, and a heckuva lot of guitar players learn that basic progression in A and E, and a few pentatonic scales and go on there way which is fine. However, without even a basic understanding of how music works, how would know how to transpose that basic progression into a variety of keys? And then shift those scales to match? I get a lot of people coming in that are quite good at covering other people's stuff, but they don't know how it was created, or how that particular guitar player came up with that particular riff/solo whatever. And that's missing the point, if you're teaching yourself how to play by learning the music of others you have to go a little more in depth, and really rip the music apart and figure out what particular scale is being used over what particular chords etc, and then ask why it works. There's no black magic in music, you just have to take some time to slay that dragon named theory.

For the poster than states that unless you write youre OWN stuff you arent a real musician

Didn't really mean that, it's more the ability to write your own stuff, aswell as communicate with other musicians. For example if I relate this to audio, that's like me, after building my first gainclone from a PD kit, then proclaiming myself to be an electronic engineer. Now perhaps after building mountain upon mountain of kits, I could become relatively proficient at electronics but only if I took the time to learn about what was going on, why that doodad is placed before the other thingamajig etc... I guess what I take issue with most of all is the rabbit hole that is music is incredibly deep and varied, something that a lot of people devote their entire lives to, and when people suggest they are full blown musicians because they play tabs, I don't know I guess I feel as though it cheapens what I, and others have worked for. All this being said, there is a difference between playing for fun, as a hobby, and taking it seriously. I get that, just don't mistake one for the other.

Sorry for taking this thread off on such a tangent! To the original poster, in addition to hybrid picking and such, download a program called powertab, and or guitarpro if you haven't already. Powertab is free, guitarpro costs. But with these, if you're going the teach yourself route, can be invaluable as they allow you to see tabs written out in full notation, written as though they are actual charts. If you invest some time in reading through them/picking them apart you should pick up some basic theory, as well as learning how to read rythyms etc. Also check youtube or something and search 'Pentatonic scales,' there's all sorts of stuff you can do with them, many notes to add etc, but that's where you want to be starting for blues based stuff. There's only 5 patterns, they can be major or minor depending on where the root note is located. And if you dig Eric Johnson, eventually you'll be wanting to get into modes, as well as arpeggios, and arp's in this case may be slightly different than what you may have been playing. To a lot of fingerstyle players an arp is generally a note played in the bass with the thumb, then cylcing through your other 3 picking fingers on seperate strings. In this case however, they are notes of a chord, say 1-3-5 in the key of 'C' so C-E-G, then on top of this you can add all sorts of what are called extensions, so a major 7 (in this example) or 'B', and or a 9th, or 'D' in this instance. These are also the foundation for sweep picking and other fun stuff like that:)

Don't venture too far into modes without first having a decent foundation in the major scale. They're quite simple to pick up once you do, but if you go in 'blind' they will be quite difficult to pick up. You get some really cool sounds with them as well. For major scales, if you don't want to get too theoretical, there are once again 5 patterns that work on guitar that when linked together will cover the whole guitar neck in any key(there's alot more but these will cover you in pretty much any situation). Once again they also work for minor scales as well(google relative minor to find out why), harmonic minor and melodic minor are somewhat different beasts, but once again pretty easy to figure out once you have a solid understanding of the other stuff...Playing them is another matter, but once you figure out how all this stuff goes together you can mix and match some of these scales to great effect, check out the solo to Hotel California for a great example of how to use pentatonic scales with some harmonic minor stuff tossed in. I can send you a thing or two if you like, if you can't find any of this stuff online.

Good post Tristan, seeing that the original poster is interested in the blues, I'll throw a little blues "theory" in, when beginning to learn the blues many players get wrapped up in only the minor blues scale(minor pentatonic with a #4/b5 added). The real sound of the blues is actually a juxtaposition (mixing and matching) of both major and minor pentatonic scales... simple way to approach it in the beginning is to play major pentatonic over the 1 chord and minor pentatonic over the 4 chord. For example, if we're in the key of G, there are 4 bars of G (play G major pentatonic), then 2 bars of C (play minor pentatonic), 2 more bars of G (switch back to major), 1 bar of D (either will work, I'd say start with minor for now), then 1 bar of C (stay with the minor pentatonic), then back to G (major pent.) for a bar and a half, last two beats are D (play minor pentatonic) and resolve the minor third... that's would be Bb up a half step to B (the major third) on beat one of the next bar which is bar one of a twelve bar blues form (4G+2C+2G+1D+1C+1-1/2G+1/2G=12 bars)

The real trick is being able to hear the chord changes in your head. Also being able to see the minor and major forms of the pentatonic scale in the same position is what you're shooting for. Practicing scales is one thing, but don't forget that you're actually playing melody's, scales are building blocks that you use as tools to create music; which is what the end goal must be...

Dave

Learn Guitar for Free

There is no such thing as learning guitar "fast" and "easy". If it were truly "fast" and "easy", everyone would do it. And "free" guitar instruction materials are generally worth what you paid for them.
Instead there are a lot of clueless beginners who buy guitars thinking that its going to be fast and easy to learn guitar off the internet -- then they find out that they're NOT going to be good enough to be in their friend's band in a month, get frustrated and quit.
Or they learn a few intros and solos to a half dozen songs from tabs they got off the Internet, but they skip over the basics of MUSIC. They can't play chords or keep a steady beat when they're playing rhythm, can't improvise, follow a chord chart, or play anything they don't have tabs for. Then they hit a wall in their guitar playing and come on here looking for advice on how to improve -- and the advice is -- TAKE SOME LESSONS. LEARN THE BASICS before you dive into playing solos right away. Learn what you're doing and why.
If you're truly interested in becoming a good musician on guitar, you can't go into it expecting it to be fast and easy. You can learn a handful of chords in a few months, well enough to strum along on some simple 3 chord rock songs without messing up too badly. And if that's all you want to do, great. But truly mastering the guitar takes YEARS, and its a neverending journey, because no matter how good you get you never run out of new things to learn about music.

Resources :
About.com - Beginner Guitar Lesson Archive
Expertvillage.com - Videos OnLearn the Math of an A-Minor Guitar Chord
Learn Various Guitars and Rythems
Also you can find teaching Guitar for beginners on YouTube, and if you have iTunes, there

are plenty of Podcasts which you can learn from.

Good Luck.

The best method is all of the above - a real teacher, online lessons...
It's all good.
Figure out a song you like.
Then figure out another one.
That, to me, is the fastest way of learning to play.
That's how we learn to talk - by copying.
B. B. King is good to copy because he plays simply enough that it's not too hard to pick up.

Learn Guitar

If you already know fingerpicking,you're playing Guitar.You may not be playing the style or type of Guitar you want, but you are already on your way.

Playing with a pick is the most common way, but it's not the only way!

Jeff Beck hasn't used a pick in years, and says he never will again.

Sonny Landreth (Slide Guitarist Genius) uses fingerpicking.

There's a product by Tascam ,I think it's called "The Guitar Trainer" ...it brings the guitar to the forefront,uses CD's, and allows a musician to slow a song down without changing the pitch!

I think it costs about $140.00,which ain't much compared to the cost of gasoline.

I imagine Guitar Ctr. has 'em, but I get better service and attention from Sweetwater Music...on the 'net.

[This guy reminds me of a drummer I jammed with :smash: ]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.