Fender super twin reverb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Uhm first post in this section so pardon my ignorance beforehand please.

A house/roommate of mine has this fender and asked me to take a look at it. I am a bit daunted by it so i would like some advise.

The unit heats up normally and in general most of the voltages seem in the neighbourhood of the schematics i found (+/_ 5 volts max). Yet the inner side of the output tubes show a light blue glow. After a couple a minutes the unit starts producing loud plops and bangs.

The guy told me he had this prob before and they told him he had a faulty cap. The behaviour sounds like this to me as well.

Now could anyone give me a hint where i might start my search for a faulty cap producing this. Furthermore do i want to track an original part in this case or will a regular substitute with higher rated specs suffice? (i know this is a long shot but maybe it's a common prob, not familiar with this).

Anyway thanks for any help anyone might offer.

grtz
Joris

Hi,

just an edit, a further visual examination showed a likely candidate for a faulty cap, the feedback cap. Replacing this with a similar cap solved the prob of the pops and bangs. it's stable for at least half an hour now.

I think i've got the culprit. The feedback cap seems to be the one blown. Does anyone have a good suggestion for this one?

grtz
Joris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.