Roger Russell

I've just learned of Roger Russell's passing; how I missed this I don't know.

Roger Russell Obituary (2021) - Binghamton, NY - Press & Sun-Bulletin

One of the greats of late 20th century speaker design, he was Director of Acoustic Research for McIntosh Lab, in effect creating their speaker wing, and during his career, both with McIntosh and in his nominal retirement he made major contributions to the development of practical line-array speakers for home use. His IDS25 array, designed after leaving McIntosh has inspired a number of similar projects here & elsewhere, and he was a great supporter of the DIY and audio communities in many ways -perhaps the best known being his wry commentary on over-priced wire, but also with his histories of McIntosh and other useful pages on acoustics. Away from audio he had a far-ranging set of interests, from science-fiction to Scripto pencils, clocks, copper and his art and photography; his website Roger Russell, McIntosh Lab., Scripto and Norma Pencils and leads is a wonderful collection of information -hopefully somebody will be in a position to continue to host it for the benefit of all.

I will always remember an email conversation with him some years ago -he was a warm, generous man, delighted to help where he could, and genuinely glad that people found his advice useful.

It was more than just 'useful'.

Rest in peace, Roger, many thanks for everything, and enjoy the music (no doubt through celestial arrays). You'll be missed.

Last edited:
Just spent a few hours deep diving into the rich history on his personal site, and was simultaneously amused and infuriated by his treatment in the very short period of time between the corporate acquisition by Clarion in 1992 and his resignation.
Whither Messrs Fone and Smith, and how fondly are they likely to be remembered, one wonders.

I still have EV omni mics purchased from Roger - bet his Time Compensated Speaker sounded very good.

His collection of HiFi Workbench shows should include many greats of the US golden age of HiFi / Stereo.

I only have the John Karlson - Reuben Guss show from 1964 and in like a 3rd or 4th generation cassette copy - it still sounds reasonably clear - (it was too fast - now probably a tad slow) lots of fun

John Karlson and Reuben Guss on Hi-Fi Workbench 1964 - YouTube