RIP Sandy K aka Alex Kethel

Alex was a longtime member of DIY Audio. He passed away April 2nd. from complications of cancer surgery. He was a major contributor on Rock Grotto Forum.
Among his accomplishments were the improvements to the Jaycar desktop amplifier, great improvements to the JLH Ripple Reducer & making a stellar Headphone amplifier from a bog standard 15 watt unit to an extremely high quality unit that w2as considered sonically equal to a $33,000 preamp.
He will be sorely missed!

Very sad to see Alex pass. Lovely man, wonderful detail man and passionate about good sound.

RIP Sandy.........

HD

Thanks Hugh for the kind words.

I attended Sandy's (Alex's) funeral today at Palmdale on the central coast, not far from the Wyong Hospital where he sadly passed away on April 2nd.

Fortunately, quite a number of his close friends as well as family members were able to attend, and it was a very nice service with some very touching eulogies. Anyone who knows Alex knows just how genuine, generous and caring he was, and it was all of those qualities that shone through today as we reflected on his life, career, and his various passions.

I had the great pleasure of working with Alex back in the 1980's at the very beginnings of my working career as a (trainee) technical officer, and Alex was the perfect mentor as a senior officer, and SME in the ARF / ARE telephone technology of the day. It didn't take too long for me to discover that we shared a common passion; namely, hi-fi audio, and on more than several occasions the hi-fi discussions would take precedence over the restoration of faulty telephone exchange equipment, and not to mention many irate customers.

Alex's sudden death has come as a shock to all of us but there's some comfort in the knowledge that his passing was quick and free from pain and suffering.

RIP Alex (07/02/1939 - 02/04/2021)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users