RIP Dr Bruce Edgar

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
hottattoo said:
Just got the word from Jack Elliano that Dr. Bruce Edgar has passed away. A true giant in horn design, and a real gentleman. R.I. P. Dr. Bruce !!

Joe

Attachments

• edg.jpeg
    edg.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 641
  • edgar_with_horn.jpg
    edgar_with_horn.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 861
Ouch, another person I got to meet at RMAF gone.
I met and chatted with Bruce Edgar in a hallway years ago.
Also got to meet Siegfried Linkwitz doing a speaker/crossover demo.

I have to just stop and thank them for their time. I remember buying Linkwitz designed active crossover boards from a Speaker Builder article when I was in high school about 1989 or so.

He lived well.

I saw Bruce in Lima Ohio years ago. He did an interesting presentation on horns.

I remember a story about the U.S. forces wanting to simulate mortar fire in a realistic way and they figured they needed an obscene number of drivers to do it. Bruce put together something like 4 18 inch drivers in horns to do the same thing. If memory serves Dark Side of the Moon was involved in the testing.

RIP Bruce.

Last edited:
Sad to read this.
I had the good fortune to visit Dr. Edgar at home and receive a fascinating briefing on his horns and their development. A real treat to talk with a genuine scientist of sound. I had telephoned him "out of the blue" whilst working briefly in LA and explained that a friend who was building Edgar Horns wanted me to hear them, kind of on his behalf. Despite little notice I was invited and welcomed. The demonstration impressed me much: like hearing music through open windows rather from out of a box.
A memorable evening spent with a memorable man. RIP Sir.

This is sad news. My condolences to his family. I never met Dr. Edgar but once a couple of years ago when I was feed up with the stereophile audiophile systems at the shows, I was about to leave the hobby. Before I finalized my decision, I attended Burning Amp (forgot which year). I can say unequivocally that I like all the systems there, but that year a member brought an edgarhorn titan II system and I must say it made me a believer in hifi again. He contributed greatly to the hobby an I will always regret that I couldn't own one of his systems. His life's work had true meaning for many people.

I'm just now hearing about this, a great loss for the DIY community :(

Bruce helped me build my first 100% DIY speaker cabinets around 2007-2008. After finishing my speaker build, I was often at Bruce's home in Torrance helping him build some of the last Edgar Horn orders he built/fulfilled before semi retiring. I think the last time I spoke with Bruce was around 2020. I learned A LOT of what I know about speakers from spending long hours with Bruce, also learned very decent woodworking skills in the process. I even went to CES with Bruce once.

Bruce's speakers are what got me into high efficiency speaker designs. Hearing speakers that sound that effortless and dynamic for the first time was quite the experience.

I appreciate having met this great man, he will be missed.

Reactions: 1 users