R.I.P DF96/Dave Kimber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh my, I am truly saddened.

I came to add DF96 to my “friends” list; now it only has 3 members left. But “that's about me, not Dave”.

What compelled me to search out and re-read DF96's comments was is remarkable combination of anti-bbb-bb-b-bûllsnot clarity and oft-times extraordinarily unflinching brevity. The number of times he called into question whether a previous poster was “endeavoring to make an effects-box”, or summarily dispelling specious arguments for Today's Brand of Snake Oleum, was the ticket.

I had kind-of-noted in the last year that his posts were becoming fewer; indeed, not a month back, I was trying to figure out if I could just find his recent posts, regardless of thread. Unfortunately, I remain ignorant of having this selective-search superpower.

But bringing the stagecoaches around in a circle … I will deeply miss DF96's piquant (and yet patient) retorts. A rare, rare voice of reason in an often purposeless maelstrom.

RIP
⋅-=≡ GoatGuy ✓ ≡=-⋅

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The news is a blow to those of us still trying to see the full light of understanding in audio electronics. It seems untimely too, as I recall it was only a few years back that DF announced he had belatedly gained a Phd (presumably in Physics). You have to admire a guy who would seek and gain that distinction late in life.

Having also taken a lesson or three myself from his perceptive and acutely succinct replies, I had a look at his personal website quite some years back when there was more to it. I recall from his photo there, that his own DIY interest appeared to be in tubes and from his testimonial writings, that he was a lay preacher as well. There was more to this gentleman than scientific discipline and electronics. I'm grieved by his passing and our loss of a great and worthy contributor to DIYaudio.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Farewell DF, we'll miss your presence, wit and wisdom but your legacy lives on with us here.

Just read this and thought: WOTT? That's unbelievable! Your objective and scientifically based statements will be sorely missed here. The number of truely straight ones, i.e. those arguing against audiophoolish BS, once again gets diminished.
R.I.P. Dave/DF96!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.