Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

Chuck Peddle -- inventor of 6502 processor -- RIP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2019, 08:40 PM   #1
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Chuck Peddle -- inventor of 6502 processor -- RIP

obit from today's New York Times:

Chuck Peddle Dies at 82; His $25 Chip Helped Start the PC Age - The New York Times

Chuck Peddle, the engineer and entrepreneur who helped launch the age of the personal computer after designing a microprocessor that sold for a mere $25, died on Dec. 15 at his home in Santa Cruz, Calif. He was 82.

His partner, Kathleen Shaeffer, said the cause was pancreatic cancer.

In 1974, Mr. Peddle and several other engineers were designing a new silicon chip at the Motorola Corporation in Phoenix when the company sent him a letter demanding that he shut the project down.

Mr. Peddle envisioned an ultra-low-cost chip that could bring digital technology to a new breed of consumer devices, from cash registers to personal computers. But his bosses saw it as unwanted in-house competition for the $300 processor Motorola had unveiled that year.

So Mr. Peddle moved the project to MOS Technology, a rival chip maker near Valley Forge, Pa., taking seven other Motorola engineers with him. There they built a processor called the 6502. Priced at $25 — the cost of a dinner for four, and the equivalent of about $130 today — this chip soon powered the first big wave of personal computers in both the United States and Britain, including the Apple II and the Commodore PET.
Old 26th December 2019, 08:55 PM   #2
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fun fact. The original GSM SIM cards had an embedded 6502 in them.

RIP Chuck.
Old 26th December 2019, 10:17 PM   #3
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wrote software for the 6502 in the early 1980's.
It was quite a simple processor compared to the Z80 but worked very well.
Old 26th December 2019, 10:42 PM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

This is local news. Chuck went to U. Maine.
Old 27th December 2019, 12:52 AM   #5
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Chuck Peddle, UMaine grad whose invention paved the way for personal computing, dies at 82 — Bangor — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
"Charles “Chuck” Peddle, a 1959 graduate of the University of Maine’s engineering program whose 1975 invention of a microprocessor paved the way for the era of personal computing.....Peddle was born in Bangor and grew up in Augusta. After graduating from Cony High School, he enrolled at UMaine, unsure of what field to study. After enrolling in one of the school’s first-ever computer engineering classes, he quickly became a convert to the burgeoning field."
Old 27th December 2019, 01:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Motorola processor was a beast -- those more knowledgeable than me should comment on how it and offspring became the engine for some Apple products

When MOStek was acquired by United Technologies it caused a bubble in the semi stocks of the era.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:46 AM   #7
Mark Johnson is online now Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

My first patents were as a Mostek employee.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:52 AM   #8
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The motorola chip would have been the 6800 which was also an 8 bit processor. I've never dealt with that chip. Did have experience of the 6502 in the commodore 64 and apple II though.

The chip I think you are thinking of jackinnj would be the motorola 68000 chip, which was used in the first Macintosh and Amiga computers, and quite probably a range of unix based machines. That was a 16 bit processor, and it evolved to 32bit with the 68020 and had 68030 and 68040 variants that I remember (68010 was a 16 bit evolution of the 68000). Later motorolla released the powerpc chip which took over from the 680X0 line, which was the processor used in apples until they changed over to intel x86.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 27th December 2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: minor edit
Old 27th December 2019, 02:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
My first patents were as a Mostek employee.
a great era!

Chuck Peddle -- inventor of 6502 processor -- RIPHide this!Advertise here!