Popilin, Juan Esteban Frind, R.I.P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is so sad. A year or two back Juan wrote to me of all people to reassure him over concerns he had about cancer. That sort of thing seems to be my special thing and it was a false alarm. I asked him about the new Pope. Juan said come visit as the Pope's family lived over the next hill. I was a little concerned when I got no reply to emails, Juan always had trouble with emails. So sorry my friend. I hope they are looking after you where you are.

That is so sad. A year or two back Juan wrote to me of all people to reassure him over concerns he had about cancer. That sort of thing seems to be my special thing and it was a false alarm. I asked him about the new Pope. Juan said come visit as the Pope's family lived over the next hill. I was a little concerned when I got no reply to emails, Juan always had trouble with emails. So sorry my friend. I hope they are looking after you where you are.

He admired to you Nigel, we come from the same province, Cordoba, and we meet here on the forum and became friends and confident, you know that when you refind a person from your town you have the same code of communication and he was a teacher with deep knowledge in physic and mathematical because he studied astronomy. As many of the things in this moment of the history I guess he was not took seriously....

Thank you for saying that. He resembled my brother who died exactly the same way. My brother also repaired TV. and did it for similar reasons. Strangely I don't think we ever discussed that. I took Juan to be a scientist. He delighted to tell me about magnetic circuits. Oxford where I have had the privilege of living would have suited him so well. I remember Juan and his wife taking a vacation on a local lake. Juan said Colleen and I should do the same. If only. He hated flying. I am not crazy about it.

Please send my profound regrets to his wife.

Nigel

Dear Nigel, I honestly did not meet his wife, and all I knew about him has been through our contact with the subject of audio and the designs or comments on this and the forum. I come from that same land but I only met him through our Skype conversations. Our country Argentina, is in deep intellectual depression, it is sad to say and Juan Esteban was another victim of this poverty of ideas that has been triumphing at this time, with special emphasis on emerging places. He as a TV repairman, was going almost hungry. Meanwhile, the fever of ideas in Audio kept him awake and attentive to life. He had a common disease, he had gallbladder surgery but he got complicated and had a lot of convalescence, despite being young and not having a bad life because he didn't smoke or drink. Then a pneumonia happened, which weakened him even more but he overcame it. Apparently when he went to do some errands in the town he suffered a cardiac arrest in the street and despite the resuscitation, of which I doubt much in his quality he could not overcome it. I regret many things about this situation, I wish I could have been useful, send you money or something you liked very much, I thought about it but we are always busy with our own problems and in the end we leave those little miseries for later. I am very sorry for your unexpected death but I hope to be more for those who need and many times they do not even dare to tell us. We also talked about you, Moglia, about your designs and talent.

Osvaldo, what you google translate as "crazy" which can be said with a friendly meaning in Spanish is quite rough, almost insulting in English.
The proper equivalent is "he was a bit of a character" and it usually means that you like the person or you enjoy the quirk or eccentricity.
Your words may be misunderstood here.
Take care, friend.

Juan was the typical scientist. I mentioned an Argentine film about a truck driver and a fighting dog. The film has won many awards. It gave me a chance to understand Argentina. Juan was having none of it. Dogs like that are dangerous and films with them shouldn't be made. It didn't matter what I said that was his focus. I have been with similar people all my life. I probably see ordinary people as mildly crazy because they confirm.

Yes, it is difficult to be precise when describing a certain personality and using a different language than the native one, saying crazy does not describe Juan Esteban in any way, I think that beyond the informal and colloquial way of speaking they have the Argentines when they between to each other, it has no relation to the true passion and personality of Popilin. He was a born scientist with a brain and a reasoning scheme typical of a university professor in Physics. Probably deceived with the system in which he had to live, locked in the room of a TV repairman and above subjected to a low economic reward where, apart, the TVs are discarded and thrown in the trash. A vision of the reality of this member who is no longer there is a bit of a low-level tragedy and in that depressing approach one sees more of a terrible misfortune instead of a small tragedy.
I remember when he make his own output transformers that was hard to find in Argentina, and after many years of build an amp with a pushpull of 6L6, he had to sell it in some money cause he need for feed his family. Oh men!

I showed Juan a push pull EL 34 amplifier with SE driver. The outputs something like a long tail pair. The RMS of the driver being 56V. Juan liked it as the spectrum was SE. I never told Juan it was to test the idea to drive a 211. That's how we got to write to each other. In the end seldom about electronics. He would have loved Oxford. I could have shown him the labs where many things happened.

We feel guilty for not offering ourselves to others when others are gone. We talked many times about the adaptations of pickup mc to low noise inputs, he was in love with the noise of some jfets and I told him that he could not imagine how easy it was with mc steps transformers, he told me that it was impossible to get them in place, and in the meantime I was thinking of sending him one of the many many that I had, so I kept thinking and then I forgot. So many times something trivial to us, ends up being so important to others and I was left to blame for not having shared something with someone who would have enjoyed it much more than me. These are signs that teach us to share with others. Who knows what is hidden behind a name in a remote place on our planet. Maybe a world of ideas and passions ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Juan wrote to me several times a week when I was sick seven years ago, and continued to do so almost to the end of his life. He mentioned in his last email to me that he had been having health problems, but did not specify what they were, said he was doing better. I heard not too long after that he was gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.