Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

Chu Moy passed!
Chu Moy passed!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2019, 06:35 PM   #1
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Chu Moy passed!
Default Chu Moy passed Feb 12, 2016!

I just saw the news in a post from PRR here: Pow Chu Moy passed away way back on Feb 12, 2016. First I had heard.

He has links in there with more information, the first being from Tyll Hertsens.

What sad news.

Rest In Peace, Pow Chu Moy, you launched the headphone forum world!

Last edited by agdr; 7th April 2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 7th April 2019, 07:40 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It's a sad fact that many people who contribute to society are forgotten, while some awful people are remembered due to their bad deeds. I hope this gentleman is remembered for what he contributed.

My kids used to say "that's not fair" to which I would answer "life's not fair, get used to it!".
Old 7th April 2019, 09:55 PM   #3
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

R.I.P.
Old 8th April 2019, 03:25 AM   #4
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

See Chu Moy tribute and archive site

In very early years of the internet, he was posting headphone-related reviews and articles withOUT any ads or payola.

He developed a fine *small* battery headphone amp for hi-Z headphones, and wrote it up SO well that nearly any fool could build it. Many-many folks did. (He really should have asked a kick-back from Altoids for bumping sales of tinned candy.)

He apparently did a major up-write on some existing forum software and made what I still consider to be an excellent blend of power and performance and style.

He was a gentle calm influence on his little community. Sharp words and flames seem to have been put-out before I saw them.

Because he funded this all with spare change, HeadWize tended to go dark at the end of the month when host quota was exceeded. Myself and apparently others offered different forms of support, Moy declined.

Another (ad-supported?) forum developed to take the slack when HeadWize was down, and grew. Then there was a server crash, forum contents lost. cMoy continued hosting articles and wrote some new reviews, then it vanished.

I have high regard for his forum software. I have high regard for his forum leadership, a job I have done and not so well. His articles, and those he published from others, are exceptionally well done.

He is missed, even a decade+ after HeadWize's demise.
Old 8th April 2019, 03:32 AM   #5
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

He really created an industry segment. That little design drew me back into DIY audio.

Chu Moy passed!Hide this!Advertise here!