Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

AndrewT R.I.P.
AndrewT R.I.P.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2020, 11:07 AM   #311
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I knew Sid Smith of your Long Island. A great engineer who I think would have liked Andrew. Sid and I loved EL34 tubes and Quad ESL. A big shame people like this are gone.

The most interesting conversation I had with Andrew was charging times for transformers. 3 cycles we thought ( your starting point as types vary, very good approximation ). This helps build up inductance and helps choose fuse type. When a transformer is activated the DCR which is very low is the load. I recently saw this in a self oscillating inverter that couldn't find enough kick to keep going. 3 beautiful sine waves in decay. Thank you Andrew and it proved you weren't as stuborn as I thought. Sure people know this and that. Few know that the transformer takes time to build up. It's not intuitive. Self oscillating inverters seem to find 55 Hz without complex calculations, you might see more Hz under load.I would have liked to discusssed that with Andrew as it seems to link with this picture. More interesting is saturation seems part of it. The resonant frequency doubtless part of the needs of the design. I know it is but not the details.

I first crossed swords with Andrew when I said 440VAC was three phase max. I then said add 10% to which Andrew said 440VAC includes 10%. He was right and I was making it too complex and not available. He used 3 phase at home. He build Covenetry Climax engines which were like F1 engines.

AndrewT R.I.P.Hide this!Advertise here!