AndrewT R.I.P.

Hi

I did not read the forum very often since some times, I just read today about AndrewT death.

First time i read his posts was in 2007, in the DX amp thread. AndrewT was a guy of very good knowledge in audio electronics and I readed lot of his post.

We missed him.

RIP AndrewT.

Gaetan

Last edited:
I have not visited the Forum much in the last few years and (thanks to Covid19) I just now learned about the passing of AndrewT.
While my first impression of him was more on the "acquired taste" side, I quickly learned to respect and admire his teaching style.
I wish I had a chance to say that in person, but now he knows about it anyway.
He may be gone but he passed onto others not only knowledge, but the hunger for it.
RIP Andrew

Haven't been on much, but I will say Andrew was a lighthouse on a stormy night near a thrashing coast whenever I needed extra guidance!

He used to go out and try to meet some lady friends, dancing like he did in Scotland. I hope he found at least one good one!

Thank you Andrew. You're a good man! STILL!

I knew Sid Smith of your Long Island. A great engineer who I think would have liked Andrew. Sid and I loved EL34 tubes and Quad ESL. A big shame people like this are gone.

The most interesting conversation I had with Andrew was charging times for transformers. 3 cycles we thought ( your starting point as types vary, very good approximation ). This helps build up inductance and helps choose fuse type. When a transformer is activated the DCR which is very low is the load. I recently saw this in a self oscillating inverter that couldn't find enough kick to keep going. 3 beautiful sine waves in decay. Thank you Andrew and it proved you weren't as stuborn as I thought. Sure people know this and that. Few know that the transformer takes time to build up. It's not intuitive. Self oscillating inverters seem to find 55 Hz without complex calculations, you might see more Hz under load.I would have liked to discusssed that with Andrew as it seems to link with this picture. More interesting is saturation seems part of it. The resonant frequency doubtless part of the needs of the design. I know it is but not the details.

I first crossed swords with Andrew when I said 440VAC was three phase max. I then said add 10% to which Andrew said 440VAC includes 10%. He was right and I was making it too complex and not available. He used 3 phase at home. He build Covenetry Climax engines which were like F1 engines.