Amar Bose, Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's often overlooked by some Hi-Fi types that Amar Bose himself was an excellent researcher and engineer. The products put out by the brand might not always have been the best reflection of this -ditto for some of the company's policies. The fact is though, they brought music to millions. And that's a whole lot more important than not having any at all.

Rest in Peace Dr. Bose.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wasn't Amar Bose's early claim to fame that he managed to get decent bass out of a small box in a era when few were doing that? That's usually enough to put you on the map.

I was walking around an open air shopping center yesterday and it was full of piped in music, mostly jazz. The speakers were Bose outdoor garden types. They sounded surprisingly full and smooth. Hi-Fi? Not at all. But very pleasant and so much smoother than almost any outdoor speaker you hear annoying you in public spaces.

RIP, Dr. Bose

Amar Bose dead at 83

Amar Bose, Founder of Bose Corp., Dead at 83 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I know he is a controversial figure around audiophile sites, but we should pay some respects to inventor and teacher Amar Bose.

Those who live in Boston will be aware of "Bose Mountain", a hill on route 9 west of downtown, where a campus of buildings form most of Bose corporation.

Amar Bose is legendary around MIT for being a captivating lecturer. No one can dispute the success of his company, aside from Harman it is one of the few companies in our industry that is truly a financial success. It was probably the first hifi company with annual revenues to exceed $1 Billion.

Success for Bose came from a simple idea, the direct/reflecting concept and constant refinement of the product, specifically with regard to efficient production. Strong marketing was always central to their success. Bump into anyone and tell them you are in the audio business and one of their first comments will be "I own Bose. They are the best, aren't they?". Heavy advertising allows Bose to charge high prices for products such as the wave radio. The resultant high profit margin was central to the success and growth of Bose corp.

Bose also pushed the company into a broad range of product areas. We are all familiar with the noise cancelling headphone, the Wave Radios, the musicians style speakers. They were probably the first to market car audio systems as an OEM supplier. They were also in a number of industrial and medical electronics segments. A strong engineering base was the basis of this diversity.

I've been in the audio business since 1978 and I never met Bose. The company was never really part of the hifi business. It was to much "small beer" for them, I suspect.

I'm sorry I never met him or heard one of his lectures.

David S.

I have met Dr. Bose. He was not one of the people that I would put at the top of my list of respectable audio engineers, but I respect what he has done and that he remained a Prof throughout his entire career. (I always wondered how his job at Bose affected his teaching ability, but that's another issue.)

I know Alan Oppenheim as well and Bose was his advisor. He had a lot of respect for his mentor and that makes me believe that my encounter was not the best that it could have been.

Bose actually said to me and I quote "Good marketing people are a lot harder to find than good engineers." Kind of says it all. It was clear that he viewed marketing as the road to success not engineering. Actually though, I believe that he was right. Its just that this is not what his company logo implies. But maybe that too is more of a good marketing position than a dishonest claim.

BOSE PATENTS

He was already tired of so much criticism, after so much fun he had between us... so he went to another world to make his new inventions. :D

Attachments

• BOSE - THE BOSEPHONE.jpg
    BOSE - THE BOSEPHONE.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 292
  • BOSE - A PORT TO ANOTHER WORLD.jpg
    BOSE - A PORT TO ANOTHER WORLD.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 291
  • BOSE 901 DIRECT REFLECTING.jpeg
    BOSE 901 DIRECT REFLECTING.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Status