Ed Dell RIP

Ed Dell remembered

I first got in touch with Ed Dell in 1997 to propose a preamp construction article based on the HeadRoom headphone amp module. Not only did he graciously accept an article from a perfect stranger, he came down to visit me a few months later (his son Chad teaches at the nearby Monmouth University, and it turned out that Chad was the faculty adviser for my niece's future husband). My article appeared in the June 1997 issue of Audio Electronics, and he invited me to the AES Convention in New York City that Fall. Thus began my long association with Ed Dell and TAA, leading to almost 250 more articles, reviews, test reports and New Chips on the Block columns in the various TAA publications. Through Ed Dell I have become friends with many of the true experts in the audio field, for which I am very grateful.

Ed was one of the most gracious people I ever met. My wife always said he had a very calming voice, and he was genuinely interested in everything you had to say.

Best Regards,

Chuck Hansen

Ed Dell''s audio contributions

I'd like to add a few thoughts on Ed Dell''s gigantic contributions to audio, especially our DIY audio.

As many here have noted, he touched all of us, through magazines containing hands-on audio, for more than 40 years. Amazingly, his list of authors encompassed the world, and numbered nearly 1000 names.

I encourage anyone to add their own reactions, as we all tip our caps to Ed's audio efforts. I've noted some of my own thoughts on my blog, accessible via the link below.

Walt Jung

I think I first met Ed in person back in the late 70s. What a nice guy and what an enthusiastic cheerleader for us. I could be wrong, but I think he was one of the early advocates for the renaiissance of both tubes and vinyl.

On a personal level, I owe Ed a debt of gratitude for the encouragement he gave me while I was writing my book.

I'll miss him.

Bob

Since Ed had to go into a nursing home, I have been expecting the news of his passing. My last note from him was actually handwritten in the stye of proper manners that Ed showed.

He was much more than just a publisher who guided many here.

He chose his branch of religion. He became ordained and worked as a clergyman.

As a publisher and editor, he was not just a friend, but would share confidences.

He took true joy from his work and that showed not just in his publications, but his own articles about everything from philosophy to woodworking.

The story of his life is the length and breadth of the journey.

In all Ed was a Gentleman. I can't think of higher praise.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I also owe a debt of gratitude to Ed Dell, as he introduced me to the DIY
community almost 50 years ago. He published most of the pieces I wrote,
and he would occasionally call me around 2 AM (5 AM his time) to chat about
audio and stuff.

The stroke that incapacitated him was an unfortunate event for all.

I also owe a debt of gratitude to Ed Dell, as he introduced me to the DIY
community almost 50 years ago. He published most of the pieces I wrote,
and he would occasionally call me around 2 AM (5 AM his time) to chat about
audio and stuff.

The stroke that incapacitated him was an unfortunate event for all.
My sentiments exactly. What a wonderful guy, and what a contribution he made to audio.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am in depth of his publications for drawing me into this hobby. I remembered the joy of reading through pages of Glass Audio and Audio Amateurs. I still keep most issues of GA and AA and still treasure them.
Thank you and RIP.

Prakit P.
Bangkok, Thailand

I discovered Audio Amateur when I was a sophomore in college-1974. I began subscribing to Audio Amateur in 1981 and continued until the publishing company was bought out by Elector after Mr. Dell's passing. I also subscribed to Glass Audio until it ceased to have an independent existence and was folded into Audio Express (as I recall). I have retained all my old issues of Audio Amateur, Audio Express and Glass Audio, and read them as inspiration, including Nelson Pass's many contributions. I also remember fondly the side business of Audio Amateur publications in selling PCBs for many of the projects; this was way before commercial PCB fabrication became accessible to the non-business consumer. They also sold parts that were hard to get at the time, like Alps pots (Blue and Black), indium plated screws, Cramolin products, etc., etc. etc. You could say that Audio Amateur's parts store was the precursor for the businesses that focus on providing audiophile parts: Michael Percy, Handmade Electronics, Parts Connexion, and even Parts Express, not to mention the many vendors here at DIY Audio and on the internet. Remember, Audio Amateur was doing this before there was an internet that could be sued as a resource to find purveyor of audiophile parts.

IMO, there would not be a vibrant audiophile DIY movement today without Ed Dell: he started it all. I would not be the audiophile I am without the efforts of Mr. Dell.

In posting in other threads on DIY Audio, some individuals have criticized Audio Amateur for occasional editorial errors and schematic parts list discrepancies. I urge fellow DIY Audio readers to ignore these picayune criticisms, and recognize that Mr. Dell's efforts were and act of LOVE - as that is the root meaning of "amateur."

I discovered Audio Amateur when I was a sophomore in college-1974. I began subscribing to Audio Amateur in 1981 and continued until the publishing company was bought out by Elector after Mr. Dell's passing. I also subscribed to Glass Audio until it ceased to have an independent existence and was folded into Audio Express (as I recall). I have retained all my old issues of Audio Amateur, Audio Express and Glass Audio, and read them as inspiration, including Nelson Pass's many contributions. I also remember fondly the side business of Audio Amateur publications in selling PCBs for many of the projects; this was way before commercial PCB fabrication became accessible to the non-business consumer. They also sold parts that were hard to get at the time, like Alps pots (Blue and Black), indium plated screws, Cramolin products, etc., etc. etc. You could say that Audio Amateur's parts store was the precursor for the businesses that focus on providing audiophile parts: Michael Percy, Handmade Electronics, Parts Connexion, and even Parts Express, not to mention the many vendors here at DIY Audio and on the internet. Remember, Audio Amateur was doing this before there was an internet that could be sued as a resource to find purveyor of audiophile parts.

IMO, there would not be a vibrant audiophile DIY movement today without Ed Dell: he started it all. I would not be the audiophile I am without the efforts of Mr. Dell.

In posting in other threads on DIY Audio, some individuals have criticized Audio Amateur for occasional editorial errors and schematic parts list discrepancies. I urge fellow DIY Audio readers to ignore these picayune criticisms, and recognize that Mr. Dell's efforts were and act of LOVE - as that is the root meaning of "amateur."
You are so right on target. What a wonderful summary of some of his contributions. He was one of the most enthusiastic guys I ever met. I also cut my teeth on Audio Amateur (Audio Magazine was right up there as well, but not as much of a gift to the DIYaudio community).

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2005
Paid Member
34EEB235-BE22-4B25-A279-6F1774ED4AFC.jpeg