Ed Dell RIP

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Friends,

Just got word that Ed Dell, the man who started Audio Amateur, Glass Audio, Speaker Builder and later AudioXpress died earlier this week. Ed just turned 90 two weeks ago.
Another loss for the diy community. Ed probably did more for the audio hobby then anybody else.
I had the privelige to meet him a few times, last a few years ago when I interviewed him.

jan

See also http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/200752-ed-dell-audio-amateur.html

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ed was foremost a communicator, in everything he did.
Before starting Audio Amateur he was editor of The Episcopalian, a religious publication. Before that he was a minister, working the poor neighborhoods of Boston. He was deeply religious and at one time mentioned to me that in his view the Church had such a joyous message about our saviour, but that they made an absolute mess about communication the good news to the people!

jan

This is very sad news indeed. Ed was a wonderful friend and a pioneering contributor to the audio/diy world as we know it. He was a great cheerleader for all of us, for about 40 years. Ed will be dearly missed, and I will think of him and his legacy every time I open a copy of AudioXpress.

In mourning his passing, we can also celebrate his wonderful life.

I remember spending $6 or so, a lot for being a college student, at the local Heathkit store for a circa 1977 issue of AA with a DIY Heil AMT driver on the front cover. I was taking EE and was interested not just in better audio, but how things worked. It was the only thing that satisfied my thirst for such knowledge. I've since got all issues of AA and SB, and read if not everything, at least several articles in each issue.

Thank you, Mr. Dell, and may you rest in peace.

kevinh,
In the sixties and seventies you could actually walk into a number of hifi shops and buy what you wanted for a nice price and didn't have to do it yourself. Now if you want anything like the quality of an older McIntosh or a Fischer or Dynaco or many other brands you just get sticker shock and say forget it, I'll do it myself. We are back to how it all began in the 50's where you are better off buying a kit if you can or doing your own design based on someone else design if you can't do it yourself.

Friends,

Just got word that Ed Dell, the man who started Audio Amateur, Glass Audio, Speaker Builder and later AudioXpress died earlier this week. Ed just turned 90 two weeks ago.
Another loss for the diy community. Ed probably did more for the audio hobby then anybody else.
I had the privelige to meet him a few times, last a few years ago when I interviewed him.

jan

See also http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/200752-ed-dell-audio-amateur.html

+10

The end of an era for sure , RIP Mr Dell ........:eek: