Bob Pease RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read that brief Mercury News report last night and had no clue who it was. Now the incident seems doubly sad.

I have to agree with EETimes:
"Bob's passing leaves the analog and engineering community with one fewer large, looming figure who knew so much, and who we could all continue to learn from. He will be sorely missed."

Wow, this is unexpected.

Bob Pease and Jim Williams, Two of not only some of the greatest living legends in analog design, but also among the most helpful to the DIY community. They had a truly open and sharing spirit, never holding back ideas or advice when asked, and never forgetting to share with others when they made a discovery.

Bob Pease and Jim Williams, you will be missed.
RIP

-Alex

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is so tragic and my condolences to their wives. I ran into a youtube video of Jim several months ago and thought to myself that he would have probably convinced me to stay in EE if he were my prof.

I've read a few of Bob's articles and know these were two truly gifted talents in the analog area.

They will be missed by so many, myself included.

Having been around these kinds of accidents too often, the question is were there skid marks, that indicates a mechanical malfunction. No skid marks is often the sign of a heart attack or other loss of consciousness. Coming from a service alcohol is not very likely.

Yes he will be missed.

According people attending Jim Williams' service, Bob Pease arrived very late. Other guests were leaving when he arrived. I find it doubtful that alcohol would be a factor, though, stranger things have happened. But to me, a heart attack sounds more likely. However, until the coroner releases a report on the cause of death, I suggest we do the guy a favor and avoid spreading rumors. I never worked with Bob Pease - in fact I have never met the guy. But I work with several people who have and they always speak highly of him. Sounds like he was quite a character -- in the positive connotation of the word.

~Tom

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What's all this grief stuff about anyhow?

No disrespect intended, but I'm totally stunned and speechless!

I can't quite get my head around this double blow to the entire electronics industry - hobby. This is intensely depressing, something no one could have imagined.

Condolences to his family. A great chunk of the world mourns his passing, and what a cruel twist of fate. I think we will all miss these men. They were by no means finished their work. :crying:

Last edited:
I can't believe it - just saw the EE Time email with the announcement...

I'm really speechless and heartbroken - first Jim, and now Bob. Two great men who's work and contributions to the engineering community have been enormous, and will forever command my utmost respect and admiration. Both of these fine gentlemen have been great sources of inspiration to me in my career (and hobby), and though I never met either of them, I still feel a deep sense of personal loss with their untimely departures.

Although they will be sorely missed, both Bob and Jim made the world a better place - a legacy which shall always remain.

My heart goes out to their families.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
Well, you know there ought to be something to keep all our deserving engineers' memory alive. Some way to honour their contributions. They are worth more than most politicians - easily.

I agree too that Paul Rako works hard. He should have help. This would be a good event to remember all those who gave of themselves to encourage and advance the art. Maybe a page once a year in EDN wouldn't be too much to ask either.

Scott, you're closer to these people and more in touch than most of us. Maybe yourself and colleagues can entice some of these larger semi companies, and EDN, to do a yearly commemoration for people like these.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.