Holton amps electrolytic caps experiments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I'm about to start my new built for bi amping my speakers. For mid/high section is NXV200L designated and for lows nxV300R2. I have bought them a long time ago, but you know how cruel life is sometimes. It changes priorities are changed despite the will :)

Now I have a big question to the Holton's amps lovers.
Did you guys tried or did some experiments with different electrolytics on the amp main boards itself? Is it worth the effort?
Mine came with Nichicon Muse. I was wondering if we can make it even better sounding changing (upgrading?) those caps.

I have already figured all power supply caps, so this is out of the way.

Cheers!

Hi,

Which cap are you referring to? Audio signal input cap? I have played with a few input caps on my ESP P101. To my ear / imagination I found jantzen alumen z-cap to be very good.

Before you spend money on caps. I would build up the amps, get them working and see how they sound. If Mr. Holton has sent them out with Muse, I am sure they will sound good.

I am using HPA-NXL200 R4.5 with no input cap. My pre amp has next to no dc offset and I run dc off protection at amp output. At setup stage of my amps, I plug in the pre amp and then adjust dc offset of amp to zero. Not sure if that is possible with your model?

If you want to roll input caps, remove them from amp pcb, link on pcb and fit them at input connector. It makes it easy to swap around and not have to disturb the rest of your build.

Last edited:
There's a surprising difference in the amp's sound with different power supply caps too although it's not often mentioned - Panasonic, Nichicon, Elna, Kendeil, Kemet, Mundorf, etc, etc.
It's not just the amount of capacitance - bigger is not automatically better, especially in class AB amps.

I've got the same 200L modules ready to be installed and to drive my efficient 15" bass speakers (<160Hz) and the power supply caps are Siemens Sikorels (yes, those old ones!) and "Elna for Audio" in a C-R-C setup with soft recovery diodes, 300VA 35v sec, transformer per channel, etc - I 'toyed' with the idea of changing the 100uF/16V bipolar cap but decided to leave it original.

Also, the rails Vcc1 and Vcc2 are linked together - you can supply separate 'front end' power supply if required - for my use it's not necessary.

I also purchased the HPA-'Power One' board too, but I think this has been replaced now.

I just noticed there's a guy here selling a perfectly suitable power supply kit on the "Swap Meet" here for your 200L modules - Torroidy transformer with the extra higher voltage winding, same "PowerOne" mains kit, a choice of pcb for power supplies, and other bits - in England, reasonable freight for you.

Yes, the extra front-end supply generally makes quite a bit of a difference but with the restricted bass freq response (30 - 160Hz) for these modules in my setup, I hadn't considered it of much benefit.

However, thank you for the timely reminder and I will indeed check it out just to make sure - I should go the 'whole hog' and use good quality 60 volt regs for this too ...

Ah, the input caps - yes, all sorts of options - possibly easier just to attach a quality film cap bypass underneath to avoid disturbing the assembly.

Watch when cap rolling as the tracks can lift easily.
Hence why remove cap from pcb and link out. Fit cap at input socket for easy / fast swapping.

Not necessary? A separate supply for the front end usually makes a dramatic improvement.
I agree, I run a Volt one regulator for input VAS. Stable voltage at the drive stages of an amp must pay benefits at all frequencies.

Hi,

Which cap are you referring to? Audio signal input cap? I have played with a few input caps on my ESP P101. To my ear / imagination I found jantzen alumen z-cap to be very good.

I do not think there is an input cap on the main amp boards. Mr. Holton confirmed to me that it has to be added separately.
I do not use the input cap. I have Transformer Volume Control as a preamp and that is actually also a DC protection.

There's a surprising difference in the amp's sound with different power supply caps too although it's not often mentioned - Panasonic, Nichicon, Elna, Kendeil, Kemet, Mundorf, etc, etc.
It's not just the amount of capacitance - bigger is not automatically better, especially in class AB amps.

Truth. I opted on Mundorfs as a mail filter bank. This is not the first amp I do or modify. I found after many amps that Mundorfs are actually my favorite caps for that task.

Not necessary? A separate supply for the front end usually makes a dramatic improvement.

Yes, the extra front-end supply generally makes quite a bit of a difference but with the restricted bass freq response (30 - 160Hz) for these modules in my setup, I hadn't considered it of much benefit.

Yes. That input stage psu in my incarnation consist LC filter (Lundahl+Mundorfs) to super fast and silent Salas shunt boards. I think, that with that setup the problem with bass restriction should be eliminated. But I do it only for the high/mid section of the speakers amps NXV200. No no worries for bass problems.

Hence why remove cap from pcb and link out. Fit cap at input socket for easy / fast swapping.

This is a great idea. I used it on my dac construction experiments with caps.
Pins_for_pcb.jpg

DDDAC_Assembling_006.JPG

Last edited:
My experience says to mix the caps. To get the most neutral timbre. On my shunt input psu I already have things sorted out. I was just curious of eventual outcomes of other builders on the main amp boards. Any tips or tricks you guys came up. The problem is that very often the same caps, even electrolytics sound different on different amps/board/constructions. Before I spend the money for many caps, I just wanted to know which direction to take in choosing them :)

Maybe you guys changed the electrolytics with some film caps? How did that go?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/322411-salas-sslv1-3-ultrabib-shunt-regulator-48.html#post5521205
Here you can find the post of the 60V modification of the Salas Ultra BiB board.

In between the bridge diodes and filtering cap I have added Lundahl LL1673 or LL2742 choke, didn't decide yet. Snubber, bridge diodes and choke on separated board of course. Salas board consist Mundorf M-Lytic 4700uF, Nich Muse 220uF and Pan FR 100uF

I think you can get of with 55V for the input stage easly

Last edited:
Aah, yes! I'd forgotten about that one - I vaguely remember it going up to about 40 volts but I'll go back over the thread again and especially that post area that you indicated.

As I've got the boards, why not put them to work, eh!

Thanks for you words and assistance ... James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.