Contemplating a new build - any interest in my previous components?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm contemplating a new build with more grunt but am quite reluctant to spend the money if I can't do anything with the old modules. Would there be any second hand interest in any of these? Otherwise I'll probably just add a couple of NXvolt One and be done with it... I'm running some 804 D3's with it. I'm also not sure where all Anthony's amp modules sit in the sound quality hierarchy! Contemplating a NXL500 build but the only thing I can reuse is the power controller.

1) 2 x HPA-NXL200R4.2 amps modules 150W DIY Audio Amplifier Modules – Holton Precision Audio
2) 2 x HPA-NXVPSU-One R2 power supply modules DIY Power Supply Modules – Holton Precision Audio
3) 2 x 500VA Nuvotem 45VAC toroids suitable for the above amps.

Any interest and/or thoughts?

I'm contemplating a new build with more grunt but am quite reluctant to spend the money if I can't do anything with the old modules. Would there be any second hand interest in any of these? Otherwise I'll probably just add a couple of NXvolt One and be done with it... I'm running some 804 D3's with it. I'm also not sure where all Anthony's amp modules sit in the sound quality hierarchy! Contemplating a NXL500 build but the only thing I can reuse is the power controller.

1) 2 x HPA-NXL200R4.2 amps modules 150W DIY Audio Amplifier Modules – Holton Precision Audio
2) 2 x HPA-NXVPSU-One R2 power supply modules DIY Power Supply Modules – Holton Precision Audio
3) 2 x 500VA Nuvotem 45VAC toroids suitable for the above amps.

Any interest and/or thoughts?

You could also try an ad in the "Swap Meet" area it might get you some more exposure.

The NXL500 would be a good choice BTW it is a very popular amplifier module and has a world class sound quality.

I hope this helps?:)

Right old amp is GONE! now to figure out what to build now.
Current thought is NXL-500 build, or 2 x 101PS mono/stereo or 2 x 202PS bridged, or I dunno!

Great news! I would recommemd the NXL500 as your best option and build it with the Volt One regulator boards as a dual mono block, you will not have to get another amplifier for many years to come.

This is what you would need for the build.

2 x NXL500 R5 Amp modules
2 x NXVolt One regulator boards
1 x Power One AC mains power controller
2 x PSU Two or PSU Three power boards
2 x 800VA power transformers with 2 x 55vac secondary windings
1 x suitable chassis with heat sinks, most likely could be sourced from
MODuShop web site.

The above would build you a world class power amplifier.:)

I'm thinking a center channel in there too with the same gain as the LR that could be independently switched on, but dont want to have yet another toroid and power board etc.

If you are only needing lower power for the centre channel.
It would be possible to have a DC umbilical cord from one of the main power amplifier power supply's to an external box with a NXL200 module.
or you could mount the NXL200 module inside the main Stereo case, either way would work to make a 3 channel power amplifier.
The NXL200 module has the same gain setting as the NXL500 module. :eek:)

Last edited:
Interestingly, the guy that came to buy the amp tried his Rotel 981 poweramp in my system. It took him about 1 minute to decide to buy the amp and relegate his rotel to HT duties... No detail and the soundstage collapsed in depth and width.

Yes that kind of experience happens alot with my amplifiers, once you hear them it is very hard to walk away from them. :)

If you are only needing lower power for the centre channel.
It would be possible to have a DC umbilical cord from one of the main power amplifier power supply's to an external box with a NXL200 module.
or you could mount the NXL200 module inside the main Stereo case, either way would work to make a 3 channel power amplifier.
The NXL200 module has the same gain setting as the NXL500 module. :eek:)

I just registered this - wouldn't the DC supply be at the wrong level for the 200 module then?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.