Building a NXV-500 r2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Things slowly taking shape... The front.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 699
The lights went out in the whole street! First power up made some strange electrical noises so I switched of immediatly. After checking everything I found nothing wrong. Even the fuses were still alive. So I powered up again and this time no funny noises...

Attachments

• Powercheck.jpg
    Powercheck.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 655
Well, we are nearly there. Just mailed Anthony with a question about biasing the amp. When I get an answer I hope to fire her up and have a listen...
Looking great!! the subtle mini-switch on the front is a nice detail :eek:

Also thanks for the supplier of the cabinets :D
(For I'll need some housing for the extension capacitor-banks of my power amp.)

BTW... how does the amp sound after burning-in?

Thanks Edwin! Burning in... I hear so many different stories about how long it takes to burn in amps, speakers, women, etc... It has been playing for about two hours total now. Compared to the UCD's I used for quite a lot of years, the 'clinical' sound is gone. Compared to the NXV200 short form I've been using the last couple of weeks, the NXV500 r2 proves I was right that the NXV200 was underpowered for my speakers. The NXV500 has the authority to control my speakers (Troels Gravesen Jenzen Next). It seems the soundstage of the NXV500 is even better than the 200. I really like that! Dynamics and bass are very good! Highs are very civilized, no harsh sounds. So that is how it sounds at this moment. Maybe this will change a bit with more hours playing.

My building history building poweramps is: Thel Accusound 100, Pass Aleph 5 and 8 UCD400's. So far I'm very happy to have built this amp. For my ears, my taste, it looks like this is the best amp I ever had...

There is also a little disadvantage. The Hypex power supplies I use don't disconnect when I switch the amp off. It just keeps playing. I will have to look in to that to see if this can be solved.

I also have a question for other NXV owners. Has anybody tried to use a separate power supply for input and output? What was the difference?

Bad luck:mad: i bought 4 second hand 1000VA transformers and installed 2 of them. I checked them before installing and they appeared to function like they should. Yesterday I wanted to check te bias and suddenly there was a small puff of smoke coming from the NTC's. I switched off immediatly and checked everything. Nothing wrong, all fuses were still working and the NTC'S appeared to be fine too. (I later checked with other NTC's) So I switched the amp on again and only one green led on the amp board lit up. It turned out that the secondary windings of the transformer were only reading 4 or 5VAC instead of 53VAC.
It turned out the other transformer had the same problem. I also checked the 2 other transformers I did not use and they were faulty too. D*mn... Strange thing is that none of the fuses broke so I hope the amplifier boards are still working.

Time to order new transformers and call the seller of the second hand transformers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.