My Holton amp builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From the looks of the photos the HPA-NXL300 R4 and the HPA-NXL500 R4 both use the same Exicon devices?

Hi floatingkiwi

Thanks for your interest in the Holton Audio amp modules.
You are correct both the NXL300 and the NXL500 use the same single die output devices, just more of them with the NXL500.
Personally I would not describe either of these modules as having bad bass response, in fact quite the opposite. :)

Last edited:
Was the NXL500r4 ever sold with single die? How to recognize? I still have a pair NXL500r4 waiting to be exchanged with my NXV500R2 modules.

The 500R2 modules used the now discontinued Toshiba VFETs
The NXL500 R4 modules use the Exicon Single Die Lateral MOSFETs

The R2 modules did have a tighter bass, most likely due to the Toshiba FETs.

The new NXL1000 amp module however fixes this apparent short coming
with a fast MOSFET Driver stage, which controls the output lateral MOSFETs with an iron grip! :)

The 500R2 modules used the now discontinued Toshiba VFETs
The NXL500 R4 modules use the Exicon Single Die Lateral MOSFETs

The R2 modules did have a tighter bass, most likely due to the Toshiba FETs.

The new NXL1000 amp module however fixes this apparent short coming
with a fast MOSFET Driver stage, which controls the output lateral MOSFETs with an iron grip! :)

Thanks Anthony but the new NXL 1000 will not be for Diy?

Hi floatingkiwi

Thanks for your interest in the Holton Audio amp modules.
You are correct both the NXL300 and the NXL500 use the same single die output devices, just more of them with the NXL500.
Personally I would not describe either of these modules as having bad bass response, in fact quite the opposite. :)

I wouldn't describe my NXL200R4 build lacking in bass either, especially now I can hear it with the clarity of a pair of 804 D3's. It seems tight to me.

I was trying to get some clarity from Erlend Sæterdal regarding his "bad bass" statement.

IMG_20190912_142954.jpg

Duelund modified Coral 12" in 140 l enclosure and near front wall.

Mounting the 300 modules.

Looking at the images on Anthony’s website I can see the transistors are at 90 degrees to the pcb and near the edge of the pcb. It would appear that the edge of the pcb will touch the flat face of the heatsink. How have 300 builders dealt with mounting the modules please?

There is absolutely no problem with that. Have built more then 20.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.