My Holton amp builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you. I have built F. O. 1.2...1.3 and listen to 1.4 and also L modules with duelund caps. I must said that Holton amp with Melf resistor am mkp and pps mod. is very good amp. All F. O. amps except L are for my taste too thin sounded no emotions too controlled. Maybe good for high lewel listening but till 10w holton is awesome. Big stage enormous dynamic, refined but not harsh, bass is brutal and controled. Everything is on right place. But i must said... More bias more dynamic sound atvlow lewel volume. That is perfect for me. Min 300ma per rail... for my taste. This is arround 200ma per vertikal fet Toshiba transistor. If i got bigger heatsink i will go for sure 50ma more. TI tested Toshibas with driver ic and measure that 250...300ma is very small difference in thd compare to 150...vs 300ma.
Nice day and thanks to Anthony and Theo for your effort in dessigning amps to brings us music even closer to our emotions.
Amps are available also in Europe at Holton Audio - Mono Block Power Amplifier

Last edited:
Tiny

Just getting started on this, little Holton :bigeyes:

Attachments

• IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5227.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_5228.JPG
    IMG_5228.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 542
This is my second only ever amp build and first Holton build. First amp was an SKA but could never solve a right channel humming/buzzing issue.

I know the chassis space is a bit small so it's crammed in a bit.
NXL-200 R4 dual mono block setup
AC mains controller
2 x NXVPSU-one
2 x 500VA 2 x 45Vac toroids (yes a little overkill on these but the closest I could find in NZ).

Running from an arcam dv-139 through a Parasound 2120 HT bypass preamp so this power amp does double duty in a 2 chan/HT system pushing ampy type stuff into some B&W 804 D3's!!

Sounds very good but I'm never satisfied so I'm looking at upgrading this build. First thing is a nicer chassis with more room, then after that not too sure.

Bias - Currently running at 200ma - I have no idea where the best sounding spot is, but I have enough heat sinking to go up to the 300ma limit that Anthony has indicated as being the max.
IMG_2204 (Large).jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Here is a new amplifier module I have developed its a very large module
that uses 12 dual die lateral mosfets, has a new mosfet pre-driver stage to handle the increased number of output devices and provide excellent bass control. The pre output driver stage is shown mounted on the underside of the main PCB.
It measures 363mm long and 63mm wide.
Power output can be as high as 1800 watts into 2 ohm loads and yes it will handle much lower impedances as well when used on lower supply rails.

Attachments

• NXL1000.PNG
    NXL1000.PNG
    98.1 KB · Views: 307
  • NXL1000 Back Side.PNG
    NXL1000 Back Side.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 301
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.