• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

new 10.125" wide heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
speakrsrfun said:

If your willing to go to the States to do a Pickup JTKTAN then there should be no issue coming back with the heatsinks. You don’t need a receipt of sale just get a letter of transfer from Russ stating that they were a gift from him or even a FREE item to strictly be picked up State side. If there is no sale, no exchange of money, there are no duties on the item. Hence if they ask you say no I didn’t buy anything today and no I do not have anything to declare. You are not lying, and in fact if your just transporting goods you don’t have to tell them anything other than what you have, not where it came from or what you paid.

I wonder, can customs officers read? :D

I have a problem with the ridiculous brokerage fee that USP charges but you are talking about evading taxes - taxes that pay for the benefits we enjoy in this country.

:whazzat:

LOL, Syn08 yeah a plan has to come together in order for it to be a plan, these were simply options to a solution, which you’ve yet to contribute to with any ideas. But thanks for the comment none the less… I'm sure you have some ideas why not share them....

MJL21193 said:

I wonder, can customs officers read? :D

So do I, seems it would be mandatory, but not always enforced it seems LOL.... But I got the point and edited the post….

I have a problem with the ridiculous brokerage fee that USP charges but you are talking about evading taxes - taxes that pay for the benefits we enjoy in this country.

:whazzat:

I'm not trying to avoid anything, I'd be willing to pay the duties I'm concerned with shipping. We aren't going to get into the politics of where our TAXES go and what benefits we enjoy from them, not the place nor time, I'm looking for options here. But I highly doubt the taxes recovered from brokerage fee's allows me the privilege of having my appendix out or my Neurological issues to be dealt with...

I'm not into doing illegal things nor do I encourage it, but if your all concerned about duties and having to pay the piper so to speak then the alternatives are there if you wish to use them. I won't dismiss it nor will I condone it, if your willing to chance it then go for it, this thread is here for the purpose of procurement of the Heatsinks from Russ, and within this thread also lies the methods of us trying to obtain these heatsinks at an affordable enough price to compete directly with R-Theta. Shipping and DUTIES are part of this unfortunately but there are always ways around this.

Russ is in Michigan, which borders with Canada in the Sault area, Russ could arrange a drive to Canada with the heatsinks and meet a fellow Canuck who’s up there and avoid the whole shipping ordeal altogether.... but that's not his place or responsibility. But I know as a businessman I've done crazier things to get my clients their product.

Bottom line is we’re all here for the same reason to seek out the heatsinks. Us Canadian folk are trying to find out ways to make it more economically feasible, if I have to bend rules then so be it, but there is no way I’m going to feel bad about it. There has to be a way of us doing this without the bickering and non helpful comments, if you have something good to say, say it, if not, well you know the drill….

I’m looking for options not opinions on how morally and ethically wrong our suggestions are. I’m looking for options regarding the procurement of the heatsinks, nothing more, nothing less. Please rest assured that I don’t in any way condone any illegal activity, but if the option for bending the rules arises you better be damned sure I’m going to take it no questions asked.

Honestly the shipping will determine if I can afford to buy from Russ, needing the 6-8 feet will put me over R-theta’s minimum but they aren’t offering direct to the DIY community like Russ is, and why you give a guy like Russ the nod instead of the Home Team… I’d love to find a way to make it affordable, but in order to do this we need ‘useful’ suggestions as how to obtain this goal…. Peace and keep well.

Not to hijack your thread barredboss, just a thought for my countrymen grumbling about duties....

We are the land of AlCan and aluminum is actually far cheaper here than in the US. I can buy .062" aluminum for chassis RETAIL at 1/2 the price of a US wholesaler. We can't make these things...... why? :confused:

Thank you Geek, This is what I'm talking about with regards to options. Yes we could more than likely get them through R-Theta or similar and have the tooling done anywhere that provides the service. I guess it's more of a help the guy who helps out the DIYer sort of thingy.

Rather than continuing to hijack this thread in the name of us Canadian folk, maybe I'll start another thread and see if there is interest enough for some serious concideration on our own tooled heatsinks. Unfortuneatly for us to do a non-standard extrusion we would end up having to pay for the tooling costs which may be cost prohibitive. If we stick to a standard available extrusion I'm sure we could work a deal that would amount to quite a savings, not that Russell isn't providing one, it just may be impossible for him to beat a local manufacturer.

Anyone want to show your hands for our own Canadian heatsink thread?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Not meaning to sound judgemental...:)

I regularly (once a year) order materials from a US specialty supplier and the biggest ding is the brokerage fee from UPS. There is no customs duty on US made product but there is GST.

On my last order (several months ago) the order total was ~$2000US and the extra for shipping, brokerage and tax was $268US. CODB.

speakrsrfun said:
LOL, Syn08 yeah a plan has to come together in order for it to be a plan, these were simply options to a solution, which you’ve yet to contribute to with any ideas.

If you plan to bend the rules, why don't you keep this private, between yourself and your mates into this kind of rule benting business?

I have suggested an option for small customers as myself: 2 x 5" sections for under $50 is the best of all worlds. No taxes (US or Canadian) reasonable shipping (under 20lbs, fits in a flat rate box), no brokerage fees, Canada Post will drop it at your gate. This is a good way to beat the r-theta prices and I would happily go for it, if possible.

Over and out.

MJL21193 said:
Not meaning to sound judgemental...:)

I regularly (once a year) order materials from a US specialty supplier and the biggest ding is the brokerage fee from UPS. There is no customs duty on US made product but there is GST.

On my last order (several months ago) the order total was ~$2000US and the extra for shipping, brokerage and tax was $268US. CODB.

go register a business name, and then sign up with UPS as a business for brokerage purposes.. they don't charge you those high rates

-joe

OK I didn't want to sound judgemental either but I came off the wrong way. I never intended on breaking rules, I SUGGESTED this as an option, which was all it amounted to, an option...

As for your suggested option, I'm affraid it's actually Russell's option and why he has an Ebay store in the first place. $46 plus shipping gets you a 12" section, he'll cut it for free (when the saw is fixed) and your done. I doubt your going to be able to get two 5" sections shipped for $50, your talking $30 for the heatsinks and $20+ shipping. We're trying to get more than one piece my friend if I was interested in a few small pieces I'd order from the Ebay store and be done with it myself.

I'm not trying to argue a point here, just that when in your situation your better off with the small purchase online. We as a group need other options I'm assuming or we wouldn't be looking for options. This really dosen't beat R-Theta in any way as there really is no comparison, your talking a $46 order compared to a minimum of $250 from a commercial manufacturer. I'm sure if we talked to Claudia and stated we needed 15' of a similar extrusion there would be no doubt it would be cheaper than Russ, but I have no interest in arranging a group buy.

Take care Syn08, Peace.

d
syn08 said:

If you plan to bend the rules, why don't you keep this private, between yourself and your mates into this kind of rule benting business?

I have suggested an option for small customers as myself: 2 x 5" sections for under $50 is the best of all worlds. No taxes (US or Canadian) reasonable shipping (under 20lbs, fits in a flat rate box), no brokerage fees, Canada Post will drop it at your gate. This is a good way to beat the r-theta prices and I would happily go for it, if possible.

Over and out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
jtktam said:

go register a business name, and then sign up with UPS as a business for brokerage purposes.. they don't charge you those high rates

-joe

Got a registered business name - incorporated as well.
I have just shrugged and accepted it before, too busy (and lazy) to look for a cheaper alternative since it's only a once a year thing.
I will take your tip and contact UPS before my next order.
Thanks. :)

speakrsrfun said:
OK I didn't want to sound judgemental either but I came off the wrong way. I never intended on breaking rules, I SUGGESTED this as an option, which was all it amounted to, an option...

As for your suggested option, I'm affraid it's actually Russell's option and why he has an Ebay store in the first place. $46 plus shipping gets you a 12" section, he'll cut it for free (when the saw is fixed) and your done. I doubt your going to be able to get two 5" sections shipped for $50, your talking $30 for the heatsinks and $20+ shipping.

Aaargh... :) And you said you are aware of how things are rolling in the customs :rofl: Yes, you were judgemental, and obviously I'm talking about $46 plus shipping. The value for custom purposes is the price paid ($46), not including postage. So all I want is 2 x 5" sections for max $46 + $20 = max $66 all inclusive, delivered at the door. This would beat the r-theta total price by $15/pc.

This is a good solution for any small canadian customer, if Boss agrees to. Not asking about who is "we", and why don't you get the stuff from r-theta if it's cheaper, anyway. Peace.

;) Try not to get frustrated Syn, I think we're both missing eachothers point here slightly. Now that you've made it clear that your intended spendature is $66CDN then I understand totally why your looking at that price point.

If you've kept reading the thread as I asume you have the answer to why I'd prefer to buy off Russ is in there, I prefer to help the guy helping us. R-Theta unfortunelatly did not offer a profile to the DIY community, Russ did.... I never said a singular buy fron R-Theta would be cheaper, I stated if we arranged a larger buy it more than likely would be, another option.....

Lets get back to the thread at hand and that's finding out if the buy through Russell is worth the effort or if we can do it cheaper on home turf, once again a matter of shipping, not duty, taxes or other related tagged on tarriffs we are forced to pay, Peace and keep well.

syn08 said:

Aaargh... :) And you said you are aware of how things are rolling in the customs :rofl: Yes, you were judgemental, and obviously I'm talking about $46 plus shipping. The value for custom purposes is the price paid ($46), not including postage. So all I want is 2 x 5" sections for max $46 + $20 = max $66 all inclusive, delivered at the door. This would beat the r-theta total price by $15/pc.

This is a good solution for any small canadian customer, if Boss agrees to. Not asking about who is "we", and why don't you get the stuff from r-theta if it's cheaper, anyway. Peace.

Hey folks, be patient...........if you can.

Just spoke with Russel and he is having a new die produced for his large HS, the last one wasn't perfect, or, up to HIS standards. Cool.
We like high quality products.
He is expecting to be able to sell them in about 4-5 weeks.

Solder something in the meantime while you are waiting...:nod: :nod:

Ron

large heatsink

Hey Guys
I bought 2 of the large heatsinks(12") from Russ
I spoke to him on the phone-nice guy.
The two pieces arrived in a single shipping box for $10 and change to my place of business in Maine. No Problem with the shipping.
I will say I'm a little disappointed with the product and think that it will be worth the wait for the new extrusions. My sinks are not flat,slightly concave, need deburring, and two of the fins on each sink have to be filed down from some left over slag from the cutting. These are also no anodized.
When Russ has his new process up and running I think these are some questions that will need to be asked so you know what you are recieving. I think these will be great for my F5's and will post pictures when they are done but thought you would benefit from my experience.
Have a good-un
rob

heatsink quality

Hello ,
i really had 2nd thoughts about selling these heatsinks before the die gets final approval to run,but i have been trying to get product out and ive become so frustrated with the string of bad luck on getting these right,They arent too bad thats why i sold the few feet of sample i had. I GAURANTEE THE QUALITY WILL BE TOP NOTCH WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE.THE RESPONSIBILITY LIES NOW WITH THE EXTRUSION COMPANY AND THEY CAN NOT QUIT UNTIL THEY DELIVER PRODUCT THAT IS COMPLETELY WITHIN INDUSTRY STANDARD TOLERANCES.
THEY HAVE ORDERED ME A BRAND NEW DIE SO WITH WHAT THEY KNOW ALLREADY THIS COULD RUN RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.I HOPE IT DOES BECAUSE I HAVE A HUGE DEMAND FOR THIS HEATSINK
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE
RUSS

In defense of Russ,
I pleaded with him for a leftover set (his last ones) of defective heatsinks...............he would NOT sell them to me because he wants to be know for selling quality, not crappy heatsinks.

Rob, what was the price/quality of Russ' heatsinks compared to similar heatsinks you have purchased in the past?
How many 1,000s was it out of flatness?
How large an area bigger than the chip do we need?
(I'm new to this stuff)

Here's your choices as of right now, wait for Russ' or pay lots more for Avidd, wait for slow boat from Australia.

I'm open to other options tho?????????????? HELP!!!!

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.