• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

large heatsink will be available by april or sooner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one just recently (aavid thermalloy) from RS components here in Ireland. Cost was about 40 euros for 12" square with overall height 2". I cut this in 2 to make 2 6" lenghts for a pass amp. Its anodised black alu.

In todays money, that is fairly close to about USD50 I think. If you can beat that let us know, although I suspect international shipping would be expensive.

Fran

Look forward to the heatsinks

Pass Labs First Watt desgns are mighty popular on this site, it would be great if you could offer a heatsink ideally suited to this popular Type A design. Hopefully I'll have gotten started on my First Watt F1 project by the time your heatsinks are available. Look forward to seeing your products.

The First Watt F5 Project is popular too. I think the heatsinks are pretty much the same size for most of the First Watt amps. I'd like to see some quality heatsinks and even a case for these projects. If the quality is good and the price is right you'll sell a ton of them.

If you check out the review where there's pictures you can get a good idea of the size needed.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/f5_2.html

tubesguy said:
Hi Russ -

Former customer here. I think most folks are on the lookout for fins running the "right" way, ie, vertically rather than the usual horizontally oriented pieces that you have had for sale. If you can produce those at your competitive prices and with your good service, you'll do good business here. - Pat

If the extrusion is 12" wide, it can be cut to 6-8" lengths for a vertical finned heatsink for each channel. You can also be creative and mount one 12"x12-16" piece for both channels and use it for the top of the amp.

Would be nice if it was anodized black. Then again maybe you can have it anodized locally after you drill all the holes etc.

vonfilm said:
I will be following this thread as well. I plan on building several F series amplifiers this year.

If the heat sink is large enough, say 16" x 12", are vertical fins really that important?

Yes. Simple physics. For good convection the fins need to be vertical so the heat can rise. Otherwise it gets trapped and can not dissipate.

vonfilm said:
If these 12" wide heat sinks were oriented with the fins vertically, how tall would it need to be to be used for 1 channel of an F series amp?

I'm guessing 6" minimum to about 8".

Nelson's article states one 6" x 8" chunk with 2" fins per output device. That means one piece 12" x 8" per channel. He may have made a rough estimate for that.

Also, I emailed Russ about the heatsinks and he may make the fins longer at about 2.5" so he can make the extrusion about 11" wide. Saves on production cost if the die is more narrow.

I wouldn't even mind if he did 3" fins using a 10" wide extrusion Calculates out about the same. The amp could be a little more cube-shaped and compact.

long fins need to be thicker or for economy tapered.
The root thickness ~ fin height/10.
50mm fins need >=5mm thickness at the root tapering to about 2mm at the tip.
75mm fins need >=7.5mm thickness at the root tapering to about 2mm at the tip.

Similarly. the distance from the furthest corner to an adjacent device must be controlled by the thickness of the backplate. Again this 10:1 ratio applies.
12inches wide and 8inches tall with two devices located 40% up from the bottom and 6inches apart will result in a device to corner distance of ~129mm. This requires a backplate thickness >=13mm.

AndrewT said:
long fins need to be thicker or for economy tapered.
The root thickness ~ fin height/10.
50mm fins need >=5mm thickness at the root tapering to about 2mm at the tip.
75mm fins need >=7.5mm thickness at the root tapering to about 2mm at the tip.

Similarly. the distance from the furthest corner to an adjacent device must be controlled by the thickness of the backplate. Again this 10:1 ratio applies.
12inches wide and 8inches tall with two devices located 40% up from the bottom and 6inches apart will result in a device to corner distance of ~129mm. This requires a backplate thickness >=13mm.

You obviously know much more than many of us do about heatsink design. Perhaps you can assist Russ in designing an extrusion die for an efficient heatsink. It would cut down on wasted production cost and be useful for more projects here on DIY. Thus he would be able to sell at a higher volume and pass on the lower cost to everyone.

One problem I see with the F5 board is that the 2 output devices are only about 4 inches apart. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. Seems they should be farther apart. Maybe a compact heatsink with longer fins helps out here?

hi,
closer spacing of the devices results in a bigger device to edge/corner distance.
Choice; accept that the heatsink will need to be de-rated for poorer efficiency than the rated Rth s-a
or
find a heatsink better suited.

In this case we can either change the backplate thickness to fit the new and bigger device to corner distance
or
move the devices
or
simply run hotter.

labjr said:

Would be nice if it was anodized black. Then again maybe you can have it anodized locally after you drill all the holes etc.

I checked on doing this locally. Turns out it cost more than buying already anodized heat sinks that are bigger than I need. They also would not anodize anything I had in a larger batch including other people's stuff. They said that different type parts in the same batch could potentially interfere with the process, so they would not combine parts to save money. Don't know how important this is, or even whether it is true, but the bottom line was that it was far from economical to have them anodized locally.

pooge said:

I checked on doing this locally. Turns out it cost more than buying already anodized heat sinks that are bigger than I need. They also would not anodize anything I had in a larger batch including other people's stuff. They said that different type parts in the same batch could potentially interfere with the process, so they would not combine parts to save money. Don't know how important this is, or even whether it is true, but the bottom line was that it was far from economical to have them anodized locally.

How about powder coating? Does this change the thermal properties? I have friends who work in metal production and can easily have stuff powder coated. Anodizing is not so easy to have done, because it's not as popular as it used to be.

labjr said:

How about powder coating? Does this change the thermal properties? I have friends who work in metal production and can easily have stuff powder coated. Anodizing is not so easy to have done, because it's not as popular as it used to be.
This is from the Conrad site regarding their powder coating:

"Coating Material
Textured black polyester powder coating has been chosen as the standard finish on all coated Conrad heatsinks and provides:

* a quality, durable and attractive finish capable of withstanding elevated temperatures,
* increased thermal dissipation in the order of 5% to 8% (depending on the heatsink) under natural convection."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.