Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Tube amp for power hungry planar magnetics
Tube amp for power hungry planar magnetics
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2021, 08:18 AM   #11
Benji90 is offline Benji90  Italy
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
I'm slightly changing the question.
What would be your opinion about a set (or pp) amplifier with output transformers using for example 300b or 2a3 or el84?
Old 27th July 2021, 11:12 AM   #12
Grumpish is offline Grumpish  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji90 View Post
Thanks!
I'm slightly changing the question.
What would be your opinion about a set (or pp) amplifier with output transformers using for example 300b or 2a3 or el84?
I use a Tubelab SE with 45 tubes and some custom made Toriody output transformers - it works really well with my Audeze LCD2's, although I did have to use a Neurochrome HV regulator to get rid of the last traces of hum. With 300b's it would probably even drive a pair of HiFiman HE6's
Old 28th July 2021, 07:50 PM   #13
HiGHFLYiN9s is offline HiGHFLYiN9s  United States
diyAudio Member

The Audeze LCD line isn't too power hungry. The Bottlehead S.E.X. is a nice option if you want a kit. I liked the pairing. The WHAMMY is also a good option with very adequate output power.

As XKR wrote the HE-6 and HE-6se require a beefier output. Other offenders include the Susvara, HEDDPhones, and the Abyss 1266.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I am working with Jhofland and we developed a headphone amp with a SET tube buffer stage which then drives the solid state OPA451 to make about 5W into 32ohms. We have two versions, one is 2W and the other 5W. They look very similar as prototypes.
I'd be interested in learning more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpish View Post
I use a Tubelab SE with 45 tubes and some custom made Toriody output transformers - it works really well with my Audeze LCD2's, although I did have to use a Neurochrome HV regulator to get rid of the last traces of hum. With 300b's it would probably even drive a pair of HiFiman HE6's
I'd reckon it would as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji90 View Post
All of these options have been used for headphone amps. I believe Eddie Current did the 2a3, there are a handful of 300b headphone amps out there (Cayin, Elekit, Eddie Current, etc.), and AudioNoteKits offers an EL84 headphone amp (Manley too I believe). The tubes all sound different, so that would be the primary driving factor for choice IMHO. I'd personally like to see an EL34 headphone amp design as I'm fond of that tube's midrange.

Last edited by HiGHFLYiN9s; 28th July 2021 at 07:56 PM.
  Reply to this post

Tube amp for power hungry planar magneticsHide this!Advertise here!