which headphones have the best noise cancelling?

Hello friends,
I am a person who loves listening to music, so headphones are indispensable for me. Because I have to travel, move a lot and be exposed to a lot of noise, I have to choose for myself a headset with good noise cancellation. However, I have used many different headset products but none have met my needs. So, I ask everyone to help me choose a good headset.
Thank you very much.

Hi, those are not really DIY stuff, so you are better asking this at Head-fi. But I can tell You my experience with active noise cancelling. It is not the same quality as I have thought it would be.

The best noise cancelling is the one that don't let noise in, not that want to suppress it. I once heard a guy using ear protection earmuffs over earphones for travel. He said it was quite effective.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have these
Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise Canceling Headphones

and I am pretty happy during the flight, noise canceling is great, sound quality is ok

once we had argument with coworker, he claim his bose noise canceling is best, so we both brought headphones to work, went to machining room and compared, both work fine for noise canceling, his sucked when music was played :)
he agreed, bose sucked sound wise

The David Clark headsets seen on nearly every pilot are supposed to have good passive isolation. The secret may be the gel-filled earpads. I don't know about audio quality.

Remote Audio's HN-7506 takes the drivers from Sony MDR-7506 headphones and fits them into shells that resemble the David Clarks. Those ought to sound nice.

I can comment on a Peltor "listen-only" headset (Salvation Army thrift store buy); not only are they mono and require an expensive adapter cable, the audio transducers are only suitable for telephone-quality speech. Noise attenuation is about the same as the regular Peltor/AOSafety hearing protectors, around 28 to 30 dB. Some day I'm going to swap in the transducers from a broken pair of Koss headphones, and maybe attempt to make earpads from memory foam. Ebay lists a number of expensive gel replacement earpads for Peltors, but it's unclear if those improve comfort or isolation (a 3M page warns that their gel pads actually reduce isolation by 1 dB).

I have the Bose Quietcomfort 15 (liberated from a recycling bin; there's some crackling from one side, and the pads have since rotted). The sound quality is surprisingly good; noise reduction is subjectively impressive. Graphs from Innerfidelity suggest that the attenuation varies from about 10 dB to 40 dB depending on frequency, so whether they're better than passive isolation will depend on the noise spectrum.

Last edited: