Best inexpensive headphone amp?

I just went back to work and don't like my cheap earbuds plugged into my laptop. I also just signed up for full Qobuz and know I'm not getting the most of it.

I have a good pair of Sennheiser headphones but not an amp. What is a good inexpensive headphone amp?

There are many good Sennheisers, so the model would be helpful. Any plans to buy other headphones in the near future?

In general: Are you looking for a more or less finished amp or a DIY project? If the latter: One with available PCBs or something that can be assembled on perfboard? Not that I can give the ideal recommendation but some more information might be helpful for others as well.

Edit: If you are based in the US and want a small, reasonably priced amp made in the US, you could have a look at Geshelli's offerings. Their enclosures might not appeal to everyone but I like the look.

Last edited:
The headphone output of your computer has already passed through the DAC, you can connect it directly with the 6.5 to miniplug adapter, it comes supplied with the headphone.

Sennheiser HD 555 - DJMania

Depending on the power of the output stage of the chip, the volume may vary, (50 Ohms is a typical load, but it can be high in some cases) try it, I think you do not need to amplify again, which will be a complication because you would have too much gain for input ......

I use a headphone of 40 Ohm impedance Phillips in a small laptop and it sounds great ......

Account Closed
Joined 2010
You'd be amazed of how some class d headphones amps in Lenovo laptops sound...Other than that te old njm4556 is good enough for your headpones.Believe it or not , the next level being at the same level with a properly made tpa6120 is the old class AA technics which can be even executed with two parallleled njm4556 in the second stage and any good op-amp in the input stage .At least i did it.For your 120 ohms headphones one njm4556 in the final stage is enough so you only need two njm4556 IC's for both channels in class AA :

Attachments

• technics headphones.png
    technics headphones.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 801
The OP's earphone has a nominal impedance of 50 Omhs, no de 120.
The problem here is that to justify using an external headphone amplifier, the signal to power it shouldn't be taken from a high-level output, and I don't think the OP is planning to take apart his laptop to find the low point. level immediately at the DAC outlet. (something very difficult, except for a very qualified technician) But, everyone knows how far he wants to see for himself if it is worth complicating his life for a very unlikely improvement in the sound.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
The OP's earphone has a nominal impedance of 50 Omhs, no de 120.
The problem here is that to justify using an external headphone amplifier, the signal to power it shouldn't be taken from a high-level output, and I don't think the OP is planning to take apart his laptop to find the low point. level immediately at the DAC outlet. (something very difficult, except for a very qualified technician) But, everyone knows how far he wants to see for himself if it is worth complicating his life for a very unlikely improvement in the sound.
He's also living in USA...I doubt he can't find there the right laptop for his headphones...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...If I use the mini jack on my laptop won't that come through the laptop's amp?...

The usual thinking is that a headphone amps which "works" (maybe strained) into 50 Ohms will be a whole lot happier driving 10,000 Ohms.

That mini-RCA scheme needs no DAC. Of course you can come out of USB or other digital audio port to a DAC of your choice. Possibly with a headphone amp in it. (However most USB-Powered dongles will be no better than the laptop audio.)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Inexpensive and convenient and decent sounding, probably ready to run, right?

I have not tried this but it’s Amazon Prime. Looks good and if it sounds good, keep it. Else send it back.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9HPDWH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZWB2CETJY6X9D59HZWB7

This has a gain switch and similar. I’m sure they are opamp based but said to drive 16ohm headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDXDNM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2MBM9091WJS3TGZKQJR1

If you need balanced XLR input yet this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J14G7OO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_N4DQ4CRM34EJ7KKKC9VN

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just went back to work and don't like my cheap earbuds plugged into my laptop. I also just signed up for full Qobuz and know I'm not getting the most of it.

I have a good pair of Sennheiser headphones but not an amp. What is a good inexpensive headphone amp?

I have shiit fulla, inexpensive, and works just fine...