X-Altra HPA-1 Class A Headphone Amplifier

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Andrew, I'll look into generating gerbers for that 7815 psu that I put together with your input and put in an order for boards. For now, I'll mount some heatsinks on plywood before ordering the final chassis from the diyAudio store.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Board arrived today, excellent quality. Thanks Andrew.

You missed out the 'e' in headphone, will the board still work? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 606
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here are the measurements that I completed today with OPA1642 opamps. Conclusion: It works fine with them with an excellent set of measurements.

The HPA-1 has noe been tested and measured with LM4562 (best measurements), OPA1642 (slightly worse measurements - but see subjective impressions below) and the NE5532.

For the subjective tests, I used some CD classical music (New York Philharmonic playing Leonard Bernstein's 'West Side Story'), Fourplay and on vinyl I listened to an LSO recording on the 'Firebird Suite'.

I use Audio Technica ATH AD900 'Air' headphones that have particualrly good mid and high frequency sound - the bass is a bit 'dry' and not to everyone's tastes, but overall its the best headphone I've heard other than the Stax.

I only listened to the LM4562 and the OPA1642 - the other measurements were with one channel with an NE5532 and one with the LM4562 - so I won't comment on the NE5532 at this stage until I have a unit with both channels fitted with an NE5532,

My preference is for the OPA1642. Although the distortion is well below any hearing threshold, the sound seems more natural and free flowing. The bass also seemed to me to be a bit fuller.

Attachments

• X-Altra HPA-1 with OPA1642 Opamps.pdf
    826.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Nice design and layout, Andrew. If my present hpa project falls short, I'll definitely come back for one.

My preference is for the OPA1642. Although the distortion is well below any hearing threshold, the sound seems more natural and free flowing. The bass also seemed to me to be a bit fuller.

My impressions are the same. They're both excellent, but the 1642 sound differs just as you described.

FWIW, a few months ago I tested (along with some other duals) 15-20 of each, procured at different times, for I/V converters with a diff-output DAC. Some of the 4562's were more than 10 years old. Besides low distortion, the desirable spec is low and flat CMR vs freq on both amps. Some well-regarded opamps did not fare well. Of all the ones tested, the LM4562 and OPA1642 were the most consistent unit-to-unit, with CMR hovering around -100dB and flat across the audio band, and within a dB or two channel-to-channel.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice design and layout, Andrew. If my present hpa project falls short, I'll definitely come back for one.

My impressions are the same. They're both excellent, but the 1642 sound differs just as you described.

FWIW, a few months ago I tested (along with some other duals) 15-20 of each, procured at different times, for I/V converters with a diff-output DAC. Some of the 4562's were more than 10 years old. Besides low distortion, the desirable spec is low and flat CMR vs freq on both amps. Some well-regarded opamps did not fare well. Of all the ones tested, the LM4562 and OPA1642 were the most consistent unit-to-unit, with CMR hovering around -100dB and flat across the audio band, and within a dB or two channel-to-channel.

I just tested 3 versions of my balanced/SE to balanced and SE buffer with OPA1656, OPA1642, and LM4562 side by side. The OPA1656 and 1642 both sound superb. Very engaging and bass was very nice. The LM4562 sounded good but I think was just not as engaging. A bit “dry”. However, if you did not compare side by side, the LM4562 sounds fine and one would not know what one was missing. It’s a subtle effect. Maybe the difference between BJT and JFET/MOSFET technology?

The main reason I did this was that I had specd my buffer to use OPA1656, which are becoming increasingly hard to find in stock. Whereas the 1642 is plentiful and a little less expensive.

Attachments

• x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 492
The OPA1656 and 1642 both sound superb. Very engaging and bass was very nice. The LM4562 sounded good but I think was just not as engaging. A bit “dry”. However, if you did not compare side by side, the LM4562 sounds fine and one would not know what one was missing. It’s a subtle effect.

That's well-put.

Maybe the difference between BJT and JFET/MOSFET technology?

Maybe. It just bugs me when I hear a clear difference that I can't quantify by any measurement. :mad: :eek:

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This subject has been thrashed to death on this forum over the years. On a well run DBT, most folks will not be able to tell the difference between the 4562 and the 1642 - certainly I don’t think I could.

However, in casual listening, people prefer one over the other and we should just accept that.