Let's discuss a professional circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to present a re-engineered circuit of a professional headphone amp. There was no documentation therefore i had to get the circuit from the double sided printed board with smd on the upper side. Unfortunately, the bottom of the board was not accessible, but I could measure the missing connections. The circuit is attached as a PDF (project_kh.pdf). Let me say it's not my invention so I don't own the copyright. I double checked the circuit as it is very strange in some parts.

I checked the quality of the amplifier using RMAA, have attached the very good measurement results as a PDF. It's the Project Head Box 2 DT990 Pro file, the other file (Corda Jazz) was uploaded by accident and I can't delete it... :(

What I don't understand at all is the output stage, which is a pure class B with nearly no quiescent current, but it has a driver stage class A in front of it where 18 mA current are wasted. What is the advantage of this design?

What makes me very curious is the feedback from the VAS stage to the input stage via resistor R10 to transistor T2. I've never seen such a combination. Any ideas?

Heinrich

Attachments

• RightMark Audio Analyzer test : Corda Jazz DT990 Pro.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 105
  • pro-ject_kh.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 150
  • RightMark Audio Analyzer test : Project Head Box 2 DT990 Pro.pdf
    293.9 KB · Views: 85

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
9mA in driver!

T6 is six times bigger than T4 (3A vs 500mA). 2 or 3 octaves. At same current we expect very roughly 50mV difference. It won't be same current but perhaps not far off. 50mV in 2.7 Ohms is 18mA in T6. Eyeballing the ON Semi plots also gives a number somewhat around 20mA.

Attachments

• projectkh-42.gif
    projectkh-42.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I have revised the circuit again. R10 was a misprint, the resistance is only 33 ohms. I measured the capacitors again, with very short wires and a professional RLC meter, the values are now more realistic.

I also borrowed a professional multimeter. The emitter resistances of the emitter follower output stage transistors have a nominal value of 2.2 ohms (microscope required) and actually are closer to 2.0 ohms. This means that this is a class A power amplifier with a quiescent current of around 7 mA (which I didn't understand previously).

However, the measurements also showed that the differential amplifier at the input is quite unbalanced. Funny that you still get a good harmonic distortion. Maybe it's the current feedback from the VAS stage?

Heinrich

Attachments

• Pro-Ject_kh.jpg
    Pro-Ject_kh.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 322
  • pro-ject_kh.pdf
    71.1 KB · Views: 107

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> R10 was a misprint, the resistance is only 33 ohms.

That did look wrong. Thanks.

> the differential amplifier at the input is quite unbalanced

"4.7k" might be 470? (I'm having trouble matching part numbers to the photograph.)

Last edited:
In the meantime I tried the analysis of the LTP-VAS part of the circuit with the help of LTSpice. I reduced the capacitors from 470 p to values which are more familiar for me though.
Regardless wether the collector of the second LTP Transistor was connected to ground or to the emitter degeneration resistor of the VAS transistor I got nearly the same values for THD. Maybe I made an error as the values are generally 10 times higher as measured with RMAA at the real unit. Would be very glad if someone can look over the simulation.

Heinrich

Attachments

• project-lender.asc
    3.4 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.