ESP P113 volume control problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just built Rod Elliott's P113 HPA using my own PCB and have a problem with the volume control. I'm using 300ohm Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

The pot only really gives any output at the very last fraction of its clockwise turn. There is some sound before that, it stays relatively constant at a low level before kicking in. I had the board connected to an Alps RK27 20K log pot, I then swapped it out for an Alps RK09 10K pot but the result is the same. I've seen this behaviour mentioned elsewhere on the forum in relation to 'passive' preamplifiers and described thus:
It is the effect of turning the volume control and it stays really quiet until close to the end where all the power seems to be in the last "hour" of the volume control between 4 and 5 o'clock.
If I bypass the pot, the amp works fine and there is a nice gradual increase in volume when I use my source volume control (Samsung Galaxy S7).

Any advice please?

Last edited:
Hi sorry for reviving this somewhat old thread..
To the OP: so what is your experience with Rod's headphone amp so far?

I'm thinking to build a heaphone amp myself too, but not sure which design to choose yet...
Read some posts about CMOy but PCBs for it looks like they are unobtainable at the moment.

Hi sorry for reviving this somewhat old thread..
To the OP: so what is your experience with Rod's headphone amp so far?

I'm thinking to build a heaphone amp myself too, but not sure which design to choose yet...
Read some posts about CMOy but PCBs for it looks like they are unobtainable at the moment.

I think it's excellent, absolutely silent. I've listened to it quite a lot and I really enjoy it.
I can also recommend Richard Murdey's Sapphire HPA on this forum.
Nisbeth, also on this forum has some CMoy type boards that you can download from his site (the slowdiyer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.