directly coupled class A buffer for low-voltage headphones (work-in-progress)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After lurking for a bit a looking at lots of designs, I've started cobbling together my own.

This is a class A buffer for low-voltage headphones, with no input or output capacitors (similar to the directly coupled B1 buffers in this forum).

This is intended to drive my Etymotics, which only need about 0.2V.

There are three "channels": right, left, and a virtual ground return.

The source follower is an IRF510, and the constant-current sink is my tweak on something jerluwoo posted in https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sol...ource-ccs-audio-applications-post4785961.html

It seems to simulate fairly well :)

Haven't actually built it yet, that's next :D

This is my first "real" attempt at making an amp, so any and all feedback is welcome!

Attachments

• hpa-nocap-IRF510-TIP122-r2.asc
    22.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2020-10-06_03-33-41.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-06_03-33-41.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 633
  • Screenshot_2020-10-06_03-33-18.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-06_03-33-18.png
    84 KB · Views: 640
  • Screenshot_2020-10-06_02-42-09.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-06_02-42-09.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot_2020-10-06_02-41-44.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-06_02-41-44.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 603
Holy lead inductance batman, a while prototype appears!

I put together a prototype with 2N7000, P2N2222, targeting 100mA bias current. It works! I did chicken out and use caps on the input though :p

Next I need to learn how to do distortion measurements. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-12_23-23-59.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-12_23-23-59.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_5179.JPG
    IMG_5179.JPG
    648.7 KB · Views: 254
  • hpa-nocap-2n7000-p2n2222-dc.asc
    6.7 KB · Views: 54
Very cool xrk! I didn't know about the sharpie trick.

I threw together a PCB design with some extra footprints and test points for experimentation. Should be here in a week, I'll report back!

edit: derp, I put the LED in backwards. oh well :)

edit 2: I should also note that this design absolutely requires a "floating" power supply. if the negative terminal of your power supply is directly connected to ground, it will not work.

Attachments

• top.png
    top.png
    79 KB · Views: 107
  • class-a-2n7000.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use these prototyping boards. Cheap from China. Do not overheat them, copper will separate from the substrate. You get what you pay for :)
But they work for quick and dirty test work. No need for etching. You can get them online or I found out that MicroCenter now stocks lots of useful electro parts, just like RadioShack used to.

Attachments

• proto board.jpg
    proto board.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 127
Welp, the boards arrived. Unfortunately they have a buzz problem. :eek:

When I have the laptop plugged into the wall, the amp is picking up buzzing noise. This noise is affected by moving around the mouse.

If I unplug the laptop from the wall, the buzz completely disappears.

The puzzling thing is, my copper clad prototype was completely free from this problem.

I tried placing a piece of copper clad beneath the PCB (soldered to power supply negative), but it had no effect.

I tried switching from directly connected input to 1uF film caps, but it didn't affect the buzzing.

Very interesting, time to debug! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_5897.jpg
    IMG_5897.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 173
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wonder how accurate the -4.6V at the output is between all three sections. What is the voltage difference between the 'ground return' section and the two active sections? That is not shown on the sim.
It may be OK in the sim (all same name devices are identical in a sim but not in reality), but I wonder how it works in real life. Did you measure that?

Nice PCB layout BTW.

Jan

Last edited:
Hi Jan, thanks for the kind words!

Yes, it is critical to adjust the output offset of both channels to zero (or within a few millivolts), using the 10-turn potentiometers.

With the PCB version of the buffer, I actually did not "match" any of the 2N7000's while assembling the board, and I had to fudge around with the current sense and trim resistors a bit (I dialed one of the 10-turns all the way and it wasn't quite enough, oops!). This is why you can see a few of those resistors sticking up so high off the board.

Ok, I figured it out.

The "ground link" resistor (which joins audio ground to buffer "positive" rail) was too high in value. Lowering it to 1k reduced the buzz volume, and lowering it to 100R reduced the buzz beneath the level of my tinnitus. Of course, a dead short also eliminates the buzz.

I must admit I chose 10k as a "I'm not sure about what I'm doing" value. And also in case someone decided to use a non-floating power supply (which would feed 5 volts back into your DAC ground).

What surprises me was that something else I tried earlier did not fix the buzz: I modified the circuit such that the buffer circuit was galvanically isolated from the audio input:
  • populate the input capacitors C3, C4
  • remove (open circuit) the "ground-link" resistor R28
  • remove the cap drain resistors R26, R27
  • rig two new cap drain resistors, 1meg from TP14 to TP18, and 1meg from TP16 to TP22

surprisingly, the buzz persisted past this "isolated" version.

:cheers: -- Very pretty board!

'Floating supply' always seems like a much better idea than it turns out in practice -- you still need a return path for the input signal .. but, then, you've already discovered that. ;)

The input signal could be referred to Vg in the original schematic. But that would make it more vulnerable to connection mishaps.

100mA still seems a little heavy for TO-92 devices -- they're gonna get pretty toasty dissipating around half a watt each quiescent.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.