Best Ever Headphones: Sony MDR-V600? (don't laugh!)

Hi Pano. Yep, the SR 80s are seriously entry level. If I had to buy now I would go for the RS series - if I could afford them here in South Africa. The exchange rate is a killer.
Almost snagged myself a Stax Lambda last year. Missed it by 1 hour. Phoned the gent after office hours. But would have been a nice to have. Not a serous headphone user.

ferret - cans are for when you don't want to upset/disturb your wife late at night or up before first light in the summer, before taking the dogs for their long walk and fancy listening to 'Good Morning/Steve Miller No. 5 or Santana/Toussaint L'overture - free natural amphetamine hits to send me running out into the light with the dogs.

Pano - Stax don't come cheap but everyone I know who has them never think of getting rid.

Cans

Hi Black Stuart. I only use cans when sitting at my PC - I don't have decent PC speakers as yet (will happen early next year.) I only do serious listening in my lounge on the stacked ESLs. Fortunately neighbours are not a problem, and I have unfortunately been alone for ten years now.
Kevin

ferret,
I know that many use cans in the office, I find this very schizoid, when I'm using the PC that's all I'm doing. It's the same with running, never could understand how you can listen (badly) when running but then I always ran in places where when truly fit the body takes care of it's own needs leaving the mind free to input everything going on around me. Sadly my running days are over, not due to age but nerve problems in the feet. I always had/have the ability to 'playback' music 'in the head' often singing out loud, now I do it walking with just one dog as I lost my old friend of nearly 17 years just under a month ago now. He would look up at me his eyes telling me that other people thought I was little crazy.

Sorry to hear about your loss, they say it get's easier with time not too sure about that but I do know that music helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I am ashamed for starting this thread in the manner I did. It took many hours of listening and frustrating attempted EQ adjustments to finally realize that the common consensus about these Sony headphones that I had lauded, the V600's, actually suck. I tried those 7509's again that I had dumped on in my first post. They sound much better, much smoother vocals and highs that don't irritate you like a bristle pad to your eardrums.

I'm sorry.
Follow-up: those 7509's I mentioned are not good; they terribly emphasize a narrow range of lower mids. I bought a pair of the very popular 7506s, and they have a horrible boost in upper mids.

The V600s remain the winner for me, given a significant eq-adjustment (-8 dB at 94 Hz 2-oct bandwidth, +4 dB at 11.6k 2-oct), and driven by a decent amp (Schiit Mangi Heresy)