Best Ever Headphones: Sony MDR-V600? (don't laugh!)

For years I found that even though I wanted to listen to music in settings where headphones were the only viable format, I just couldn't tolerate my meager setup for longer than a half-hour at best. Decades old Sony MDR-V600 headphones driven by an old HeadRoom Total Airhead amp, plugged into the 1/8" output of my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone. But as time went by and I learned more and more online about the wonderful world of analog audio, I became aware of two major flaws in my setup. One I was fortunate to realize by happenstance: because the ear pads had broken down so much over the years that it got to be so bad that the headphones started to hurt my ears by way of the inner planar surface smashing my earlobes down, I was driven to order replacement ear pads (I had to cut the old ones off and glue these on). Turns out that the broken down pads had altered the sonic performance in a very negative way that I hadn't realized.

The other flaw was one that is probably obvious to most readers here: using the phone's DAC. I knew too little to know that this could be a shortcoming. I was fortunate enough to discover Schiit Audio and find my way to the Modi Multibit DAC (NOT the Modi 3, rather this is the almost 3-times-as-expensive mulit-bit version, and I will never ever listen to a Delta-Sigma DAC again after falling in love with mult-bit decoding). I'm now playing Spotify on my laptop through the DAC (still using the old HeadRoom amp) playing 320 kbps Ogg format (Ogg is Spotify's native format, one that I HIGHLY approve of despite its poor online reputation for no other reason than that it's not a "modern" codec). I now can listen to headphones and actually enjoy it, which leads me to my primary reason for starting this thread.

So in the meantime I have tried two different models of headphones to compare to the very old and discontinued Sony MDR-V600. These are the MDR-7509 (not HD, but I don't know what the "HD" version actually adds, if anything) and the Beyerdynamic DT770M80. Both come nowhere close to the V600, which is why I sought out and purchased yet another (used) pair of V600's on Ebay which I was very fortunate to find in decent condition, almost like-new when compared to my very used old pair.

The 7509's have way too much low bass and more disturbingly are very hollowed-out in the low mids, and the latter shortcoming is not one that I can tolerate, as low mids are the principal reason why I bother listening to music in the first place (add crisp highs above 10k and I'm that just much closer to heaven itself). The Beyer's had very nice sounding highs but the middle of the mids sounded like they were being transferred through amplified empty soup cans (in other words emphasized and not in a good way).

So I'll stick with my V600's which I adore, but I wonder why they have such a poor reputation online? I thought about trying the 7506's but after reading quite a few reviews I was discouraged by their apparent shortcoming in bass and low-mids.

Here is one comment on the V600's that I did find in this forum, albeit from almost 10 years ago (in an old thread entitled "Reference headphones"):

Fair Enough...
I have both a MDR7505 and MD-V600. Both sound decent, but myself prefer the 7505s as with increased pressure they block out external noise a lot better.
My wife on the other hand has been using the V600 for a while ( about 3 years now ) and she wont part with them.

But... if your good at seeking out deals you can find them around $400 for the HD 650's ;)

Now in the interest of being totally transparent, I will confess to a bit of an EQ preference I have applied to the V600's using Equalizer APO's 16-band linear: -3 dB on 63 Hz and -2 dB on 10 kHz. Very modest compared to what I would end up having to do to try to make other phones listenable.

I've never owned the V6, V600, or 7506, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a pair at the right price. I had a pair of the V7 and loved them, but lent them to a DJ friend... who may still have the pieces in a box somewhere. To console myself, I ordered the MDR-V900 from the Sony Store, but found them a bit bass-heavy (still, two or three coworkers liked them enough to get their own). I've since picked up the MDR-V700 and MDR-V500 second-hand; the V700 are my current favourites (still on the original earpads), though uncomfortable to wear over glasses for long periods. The V500 didn't impress me as much; I thought they might be counterfeits, but they looked identical inside to pictures of the real thing. More plastic-y and lighter weight, which could mean more comfortable for long listening sessions. The original earpads had shed all their leatherette coating; I got cheap replacements from ebay, which I think have improved the sound somewhat. Maybe the same as the 7505?

Here's a site with info on Sony headphones:
Sony Headphone Page

If you're shopping for new headphones, beware of the fakes on Amazon, ebay, etc. I'd buy from some reputable dealer in music/audio/video production stuff; it looks like Sweetwater has the 7506 for $100 US right now. Vistek.ca seems to have them for $130 Canuckian, which is less than Amazon.ca

Last edited:
That website detailing the history of Sony headphones is very interesting. It doesn't go into much detail on the V600 but does make basically the same point about their evolution as the Wikipedia article on Sony headphones (Sony MDR-V6 - Wikipedia), that they were an answer to complaints of the 7506 being too bright. I have listened to other headphone brands in the past that had the opposite problem (having far too much low end ranging from bass to low-mids), and I find that the V600 provides a rich-sounding low end including delightful low-mids while preserving high-frequency reproduction. In the past they always seemed to me very weak in low-frequency bass, that is, from about 60 Hz down, and this is a common complaint. However, I found through recent listening that the lower frequencies are actually quite present and pleasing, compatible with my preference for this part of the frequency range to not be emphasized.

Last edited:
I am ashamed for starting this thread in the manner I did. It took many hours of listening and frustrating attempted EQ adjustments to finally realize that the common consensus about these Sony headphones that I had lauded, the V600's, actually suck. I tried those 7509's again that I had dumped on in my first post. They sound much better, much smoother vocals and highs that don't irritate you like a bristle pad to your eardrums.

I'm sorry.

Best Headphones are the ones that are comfortable for as long as you wear them, especially if you're wearing glasses. Are those, that make you feel you're not wearing them. And last but not least, allow you to adjust yourself to them that makes them feel sounding good. For me, AKG 70x are those HPs. I use them with TPA6120 amplifiers.

Ok, don’t know if this is the right forum, so kick my a** if not. Tell me where to go.
I had some sennhiser open air phones form the early 1970’s that I just loved. Don’t know the model # as they are long gone. I loved them, ultra light weight at the time. Used them while studying and listing to the rock of the era. Don’t see much about the phones themselves, lots of phone amps and stuff. Any recommendations if I was to find something like them today? In today’s world would they even be considered worthy of this board?

It's hard to go wrong with a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 (or Drop HD-6XX, which is the same headphone).

They classic 1970s Sennheiser were probably the HD-414.
product_detail_x1_desktop_HD_414_Product_Image_Sennheiser_01.jpg

Tom

I tried the classic Sennheisers (scored them at a flea market for about 50 cents, then invested in genuine replacement earpads since the originals had rotted); no bass, no isolation. OK if you listen to acoustic music in a quiet room, or want to pose them next to a vintage audio system for Instagram.
I've spent more time with the Sony V500; there's deep bass, maybe because the new earpads seal better. And the light weight and softer earpads makes them more comfortable than the V700; lower sensitivity means they're sometimes too quiet.

Started with 2nd hand Senn 650s, then 2nd hand 600s. I can see why some prefer the 600s. Next up Beyer 990s, I would probably have stayed with the Beyers which would be fantastic if it wasn't for the painful treble - if Beyer know that this deters a lot of potential buyers why don't they deal with this very real problem. And it is a problem because I'm no spring chicken which means that I am losing the top end, what it must be like for young ears:eek:.

Just over a year ago I saw some new Oppo 2 for sale from Hong Kong, I got a pair for £210. Finally got to try them a couple of weeks ago when my Marantz CD6007 arrived. Absolutely delighted with both pieces of gear.

At last I have cans that I can wear for hours. I used a 63KI for nearly 30 years, the new 6007 is a huge step change better overall. The Oppos allow this to come through. Bass is deep and truly multi layered. I can now hear the dramatic differences in quality mastering, or otherwise.

If you can bag a set of these cans you will not be disappointed. If you are an exaggerated bass head it's possible you will want more, I have never heard bass so extended and 'real'. The top end is rolled off but listening to music I know well I wasn't aware of this

The one mod I know about is changing/altering the foam inserts. The other is experimenting with different cables. Years ago I found that air cored solid core conductors made a huge difference.

Solid core insideoversized air core FEP (not Teflon) tubing.

Techflex AAARRRGGGHH so bloody microphonic. I am about to use a material for sheathing that is so left field - oxygen tubing. Lying in a hospital bed leaves lots of time to see possibilities and it's a blinder for sheathing being soft and very pliable and will soak up any airborne vibrations and - it comes for free.

I have to get in touch with the producer to see what the melt temperature is. the whole construction is perfect to use for h/phone cable.

Solid core vs air core. In what regard, cord feel and weight, or sonic differences? I do remember the old sennhiser cord coupled noise to the headset via mechanical not electrical means. Like when it rubbed against a jacket.

This is a h/phone thread, not a cable thread - we all know where that leads. I don't intend to elaborate further. I stand by what I said - I think there are only two ways to improve/change the sound of the Oppo PM2 - experiment with removing/adding to the foam inserts and your own flavour of h/phone cable - enjoy the music.

I am surprised by you gents from the North American continent. I have never heard you guys mention the Grado headphones. I only have a pair of SR 80s, but they have served me well for at least a decade already. The more pricey ones are supposedly excellent; any comments about the Grado's?

P.S. I only use mine when at the PC. No need to use them on the main system. Live on me own!

Hi Pano. Yep, the SR 80s are seriously entry level. If I had to buy now I would go for the RS series - if I could afford them here in South Africa. The exchange rate is a killer.
Almost snagged myself a Stax Lambda last year. Missed it by 1 hour. Phoned the gent after office hours. But would have been a nice to have. Not a serous headphone user.