Improve loudness on Samson SR950

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.

I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.

I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.

You might be able to find a used Schiit Fulla at or near that price. Post a WTB ad on
Want to sell some of your gear? This is the place! or
Amplification For Sale / Trade | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
There's also the Fiio E10k, which should be within your budget if you look for a used one

And I don't mean any offense, but if you're not interested in building anything yourself, why post this at DIYaudio.com? Head-fi or headphones: cans for nerds, stuff that matters might be more helpful places to ask.

Last edited:
I think the little "BlueBird" U6 or U3amplifier, which was well made and sold for as little as $25 delivered should push your Superlux/Samson cans. It seems to have disappeared. You could as at Head-Fi if any of the similar looking low priced amps from China have the same guts/quality. The Bluebird could be run continuously from USB power

Bluebird amps | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Found one - - not sure how this later model behaves when charging. Ask the seller. Things like the Bluebird are great when dealing with Zishan players which have high Zout. (Walnut, Z2, Z3)

HiFi Portable Class A Headphone Amplifier Mini Stereo Audio Amp for Audiophiles 832681725640 | eBay

I have a JL Hood style Chinese amp which runs from 120vac - cheap and nice looking - works well with big cans - can hum badly with some IEM - probably needs more filtering and a better ground scheme.

Had a Schitt with sub-mini tubes - it blew up trying to drive some shitty Koss 250ohm cans on percussion tracks. Had a Zhalou DAC's headphone section catch fire with same attempt... Not enough voltage swing into higher impedances.

Last edited:
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.

I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.

I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.

Did you get anything yet? If not, Schiit has a bunch of their Fulla 2 and Fulla 3 in stock in their B-stock section: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

I don't like battery powered as you have to recharge them daily when my main use is mostly on the computer desk and internal PCIe card I don't prefer coz you can't use it with other devices it will be fixed inside one PC.

Although I can consider buying PCIe sound card or rechargeable if they are much better then the external AC wall socket Amps.

There are not many options/brands in India on amazon, some are not available and some are over priced.

These are the only ones I found on Amazon in my budget :
1) Behringer MA400
2) FiiO A1
3) Cymrix HA400 MKII
4) Aokeo AMP-400
5) Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3
6) M-Audio Bass Traveler
7) Pyle-Pro PHA40
8) Behringer HA400
9) Mackie HM-4

I am not sure if any of the above listed nine models is better then Behringer MA400

Also I got Behringer MA400 delivered yesterday. It increased the volume by 20% but it's not ultra loud, sound quality is okay. If I can find some other better option then I can return Behringer MA400 as it has 10 days return policy on amazon.

but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard.
The Samson's are 32 ohm standard, so a PC sound card should drive them with enough volume.
In Sound settings there is a setting to disable all sound enhancements. Have You tried it ? On some laptops it makes a great difference. Try to update the sound drivers also.
Check if there is some sort of volume limiter setting enabled.
Or buy a nice mini HIFI system or amp from the flea-market with line in and use the headphone out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.